Wiring through new chassis

My Chassis loom carries only wires for rear lamps

What year is yours ? The earlier had simpler wiring AFAIK

Yes so does mine but Land Rover earthed those rear lamps to the transfer case.

Earthing the rear lamps to the body, should mean an earth from the body to the chassis.

Looking at the way mine is wired, there wasn't originally any earths to the rear of the body.

Mine is a 1990 but was sort of military spec, it was a very basic vehicle and used as an ambulance from new, it had a military engine number so probably supplied from government type stock. If that makes any sense....

Wires in my chassis loom to rear are rear fog, reverse, left ind, right ind, stop lamps, left side lamp and right side lamp, and two earth wires :)

Mine is a 1990 but was sort of military spec, it was a very basic vehicle and used as an ambulance from new, it had a military engine number so probably supplied from government type stock. If that makes any sense....

Wires in my chassis loom to rear are rear fog, reverse, left ind, right ind, stop lamps, left side lamp and right side lamp, and two earth wires :)

Yep I have that plus interior light. Then the three ? wires for the rear wiper that I threw away.

I should be able to post a pic late tomorrow of the Lucar connectors I've used.

Mine's a Special build for BT. Apart from the colour coded eyebrows, cloth seats and carpets, it's a County.

Completely OT, but mine was originally owned by the British Geographical Survey. I wonder what the ratio of fleet users to private users is on brand new utility land rovers, or was when ours were new

Completely OT, but mine was originally owned by the British Geographical Survey. I wonder what the ratio of fleet users to private users is on brand new utility land rovers, or was when ours were new

I suspect there are remarkably few 'private' purchasers of new Defenders: of the people I know who've acquired them new the vast majority have either been through a 3- or 4-year contract lease, or it's been bought by the person's business [even if they're a sole-trader]. Equally, the likes of Lex Defence traditionally spent quite a bit with JLR for their "White Fleet".

When I did my one I did rin it through the chassis and it was the origonal loom, I did put the whole loom inside a lenght of rubber pipe to stop the rubbing.

It was a right pain in the a**se to do but I know it will never rub through and it will (or should) last for ever now and there should be no chance of damage.

Decided to run the loom though a length of plastic electrical conduit and clip it up under the tub, cant see any reason for it to go near the chassis really as it starts in the bulkhead and goes to rear lights.

Just need to find some black pipe now, got loads of white :rolleyes:

• 4 years later...