Replacing drop arm nut

Afternoon Chaps

I have recently replaced my steering box (4 Bolt) and bought a new drop arm and ball joint as thought might as well whilst i'm there. I have put everything back into place and today received a new drop arm nut and lock washer (AEU4025/6). I have come to put it back on and the nut is a 36mm? (which annoyed me as I went out and bought a 34mm socket which it should have been?!) Also, its so hard to adjust up, Ive now ordered a 36mm socket and awaiting delivery (local stores didnt have any!), so I thought I would "nip it up" with an HD adjustable spanner so I could crack on and refill the fluid etc.

When i was using the adjustable, the nut fits on the thread, but so much torque is needed to turn it its moving the whole steering and its only done about two revolutions? My concern is - if I let the steering go all the way to right, If im torquing this up so hard, will it damage my nice shiny new steering box putting that much pressure on it? Seriously, i've replaced a lot of things on the landy but this is the hardest nut i've ever turned?

I know my new box has been painted which will cause some stiffness, i've squirted wd40 all over them, still - honestly using a long torque bar, its very very stiff?

Advice appreciated.

Regards

Al

(1989 "F" 2.5TD 19J CSW 90)

If it is a new steering box, drop arm and new nut. then the drop arm should slide straight on and the nut should spin on using your fingers all the way. You either have the wrong nut or the thread is gunked up.

Sounds to me like the difference between a 1.75 and 1.5mm pitch for example (easy to start off as they are the same diameter but after 2 turns they will bind and start to try and fold the threads.

Hi Adam

Its a recon SB, drop arm is new and slides straight on to position, I cant for the life of me find any other part than AEU4026 for any 4 bolt box nut? So it must be the right part? Could it just be the paint they sprayed when reconin' the box? I.e I should put on take off and repeat, repeat x10 and hope it gets looser?

Cheers

Googling the AEU4026 p/n you gave is listed by some a s a 6 Bolt gemmer box.

Not a 4 Bolt Adwest? I reckon you have wrong thread.

Any good? give cackshifter/westerns NT614041 a try it's 75p at the end of the day and you wont wreck the thread on your new box by waiting a day or two?

Cackshifter/Pete/Western

Thank you, thank you and thank you. Right part arrived today and went on a treat - much obliged. Was given some bad part numbers to start with and the descriptions on the items when ordering are poor to say the least. You have all just made my day.

Al.

• Like 1