TD5 rear crank shaft oil seal

changread

Hi All, just had my local garage check a small oil leak on my 2002 D2 TD5 and advised it's a rear crank oil seal so if I have to replace it what about the clutch? 85k on the clock and tow a heavy caravan and have noticed a slight judder when towing also it was recommended to replace it with a heavy duty solid flywheel one. Just one other thing is there a breather that could causing the problem?

Any ideas?

I've had two leaks on my discovery that could have been interpreted as rear crank seal leaks.

Before you go to the trouble and expense of the crank seal check the rear of the rocker cover gasket, and also check that your clutch pipe hasn't been abraded and caused tiny hole. Both leaks run down the rear of the block and can seem like something worse than they are.

There's lots that have fitted solid flywheels & then changed back to Dual Mass within months

i'm one of them, also based on a "smart-ar&e's" advice, it didnt take months for me only 3 weeks as i was fed up with the shudders and noise... you better bite the bullet and replace the DMF then you can put your mind to rest in this area for another close to 100K miles, the DMF acts likem a damper for torque shocks too and without it you'll stress the gearbox bad...use Valeo

Thanks for all your help you've all convinced me to go DMF

The next big problem is which make, you say Valeo I see Brit Part use Valeo DMF but what about the rest?

I've had the rocker gasket re sealed and replaced both the Clutch master and slave cylinders recently.

Thanks for all your help you've all convinced me to go DMF

The next big problem is which make, you say Valeo I see Brit Part use Valeo DMF but what about the rest?

I've had the rocker gasket re sealed and replaced both the Clutch master and slave cylinders recently.

I'd buy from Ashcrofts. I suspect this is Valeo, but it doesn't state it (a quick email would confirm). This way you don't play the britpart quality lottery....

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/miscellaneous/clutches/dual-mass-flywheel.html