Is this a good deal?

HI all,

I'm new to these forums and to Land Rovers in general. So I've a line on 1988 RHD Defender with 89k (located in UK). All original and no mods. It comes with a 2.5 NA petrol engine. The body and frame from what i can tell are in fairly good shape (no visible rust). Minor dings for a truck this age. I'm looking to import it to US.

The truck can be had for 3500 GBP (~ $6K). I'm concerned with the 2.5 NA engine. How reliable are these engines? Are they adequate for high-way driving say at ~65 MPH? I'll be using this truck mostly for getting about and camping trips.

Thank you in advance for any information or suggestions.

Hi Hhariri,

Welcome to the forum, where abouts in the UK I'd the vehicle? Perhaps someone could go and have a look at her for you.

The engine is long in the tooth, I'm not sure 65 would be considered it's cruising speed...

The key things are the chassis and bulkhead, if they are good you're golden.

Once you get it to the states are you able to modify it?

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you for your response. Its located in Bolton (just outside of Manchester). It is being sold by a gentlemen that deals regularly in Land Rovers. Once it comes here, i plan to drive it around for a while and get a "feel" for what it needs in a way of restoration. Never had a Land Rover (but always wanted one).

Yes. Eventually, i plan to install a 200tdi if one can be found (maybe upgrade the drive train as well). I'm an urban guy and not much into off road. I realize the D90s is not meant for touring. But man i like their looks.

Well i have no first hand experience, but it may be worth private messaging a few people in these threads, they don't seem to think too highly of him:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=61761&page=2

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/used-land-rover-defender-world-lies-lies-more-lies-157645-6.html

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/145543-my-moan

I've seen a few of his defenders on ebay over the years and to be honest it does look very much like he's given them a quick tart up to sell on and nothing more...

Have a look on EXPO forum (us based) re current situation re imported defenders, it would need to be absolutely original , regarding , chassis , engine , numbers etc . The expected cruise is more 55 than 65. The engine in good condition will handle a real flogging well, so rebuilt , and with a bit of tuning 65 would be possible. Be very wary of buying at arms length from dealers in Uk . Not the most honourable group . IYKWIM

Thank you all for taking the time to post a response. I've been glued to the pages of this and other forums for better part of the weekend. I'm certainly much more informed than i was 48 hours ago. Lots of good reading :)

One question that I do have: I seem to remember reading somewhere that for an original Land Over (no mods) serial numbers have to match between three parts: The engine, chassis and ...... not sure what's that 3rd part? and where are these numbers located exactly?

Thank you all for taking the time to post a response. I've been glued to the pages of this and other forums for better part of the weekend. I'm certainly much more informed than i was 48 hours ago. Lots of good reading :)

One question that I do have: I seem to remember reading somewhere that for an original Land Over (no mods) serial numbers have to match between three parts: The engine, chassis and ...... not sure what's that 3rd part? and where are these numbers located exactly?

3rd location is in the bottom right corner of the windscreen as you look at it riveted down