Winch switch - permanent or switched live ?

Anderzander

Which would you go for for the control switches on an electric winch ..... A switched live so that the key forms an extra 'control' - or a permanent live so that it's not reliant on having the key in ?

I'm wondering too if there's something I've not thought of on this....

I have a main isolator for the winch, and another isolator for the controls, both from permanent lives. A switched live for the controls may be better in that you can't forget to turn it off... Or possibly have both...

i used the rear electric window switches for my challenge truck for the winches. this has the additional bonus of already having a switched live feed to them, so mine are ignition fed and the winch has its own isolator so even if the ignition is on i cant activate the winch, although the solenoid obviously will still click.

I have both, there is a winch master switch on the dash that activates the winch isolation solenoid and the internal/external winch controls. The master switch is ignition fed so will only work when the ignition is turned on. I cannot foresee a situation where you'd want to winch and not be able to turn the ignition on.

It means that to activate any winch or even to have power at the winch motor solenoids you need the ignition on and the dashboard master switch on.