Defender Tyres

Mostly road usage but some family camping trips etc. It currently has Kumho 235 x 85s fitted at the moment but I'd like to go bigger - if this is possible without changing the wheels that would be preferable. Looking to spend around £100 per tyre but I can stretch to more if it's going to be better in the long run...

My suggestion would be a set of the latest road tyre fitment out of the factory in 235/85/R16. They are Continental Cross-Contact AT, and are an AT-biased road tyre sort of pattern. I have a set on my 90 which sees mainly road miles but a fair amount of gravel forest roads and also the odd bit of greenlaning recreationally. They have done very well so far and I have no issues with them, another bonus is that you can usually get new take-off sets cheaper than buying outright because people buy a new Defender with them fitted and then immediately 'upgrade' to something else. My set of 5 with delivery mileage cost me £500 under these circumstances.

For your usage I wouldn't reccomend bigger or more aggressive tyres. If you need the extra ground clearance in ruts then fair enough, but otherwise I think they are unecessary.

Of course that being said if you purely want them for the "look" then that's fair enough also, each to their own. In which case none of the above matters and go for whichever pattern you like the best :)

• Like 1

Contis on my Freelander and are excellent long lasting and very good in the snow ( same tread pattern just different size)

I have BFG MT on my 110 , but then my usage is not what you use yours for. 235/85 is a good allround size for a 110 . Going bigger can be a negative , cost , ride, clearance etc , unless your desire for a look is greater , thats your choice .

Over here Defenders seem to be delivered mostly with Michelin Latitude Cross in 7.5/16. They're great for me (tracks/fields etc.) Like Retroanaconda I got them brand new from the back door of a LR dealer for 400€ for all 5... bargain

The Continentals are rubbish....

(actually they are a fantastic tyre, but if everyone keeps singing their praises, it won't be long before the price of new take-offs goes through the roof and those of us in the know won't be able to pick up such good bargains).

Also, IMHO anything bigger than 235/85 on a stock 110 looks out of proportion and just plain wrong.