Ifor Williams Wheel Bearings

Retroanaconda

So it seems like either my Google skills are failing me, or there's no info on the internet regarding changing the wheel bearings on an Ifor Williams trailer. So I'm guessing quite a few of you own/use them and might have experience?

I have an LM125G, about ten years old (was told it was a 2004 model, though I've no way of verifying this) with a gross weight of 2,600kg. I think this means it has the later type of 76mm unitised bearings as per this page:

http://www.barlowtrailers.co.uk/Ifor_Williams_Parts/Running_Gear/Hubs_and_Bearings/Hub_Kits_Sept_1992_Onwards

One wheel is a little rumbly so I want to change the bearing, what is involved in the process? Is it simply a case of taking the stake nut off, undoing the circlip, then withdrawing the hub off the stub axle? I'm assuming the brakes need to be backed off?

It looks like they are not taper bearings like I'm used to on the cars, which explains the small amount of play on each of the wheels that I found.

Any advice gratefull received! :)

Never done an ifor but the year of manufacture should be on the plate and if you give the serial number to a trailer place they should be able to give you the right part. Or strip it and dump the bits on their counter with a I want one of meh but newer expression.

I seem to remember we replaced one on the CT177... it's been a while though, can't remember it exactly, only thing I remember is that we broke a breaker bar trying to get the nut undone.

Probably the same as with other unit bearings, press out hub, undo circlip, press out bearing, press in new bearing, refit circlip, press hub in again taking care you don't split the bearing.

If they are cartridge/unitised bearings then yes: back off brakes, remove cap from hub, undo Big Nut/retainer and pull hub off.

Spring the circlips and extract the bearing-cartridge from hub. You'll need a press.

See page 52 onwards from here: http://triadtrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/dexteraxle.hubs_.drums_.bearings.pdf

[OK it's an american site but the principle's the same].

Reassembly is pretty much the reverse. Be aware that the Big Nut is _very_ tight.

[i had to do this on all 4 wheels of our big Bateson earlier this year after it had spent three weeks underwater]

• 3 weeks later...

Well I hilariously failed to undo the stake nut holding the hub on, it's done up mental tight! Broke my breaker bar :(

As I've not got the time nor motivation to scrabble about on the wet grass to resolve it I've taken the trailer to the local Ifor place who are going to swap the bearing for £65.

Left hand thread?

I remember trying to undo wheel nuts on a Bedford CF years ago. One side of the truck was RH thread and the other LH. I was told later on by a wise geek that this is quite common on commercial vehicles....