my first v8 engine work...

Disco-Ron

I'm in the process of fitting a 3.9efi auto in my 90.

I figured it would be silly while it's on the garage floor not to do some work on it..... so I've removed the inlet and gubbins and removed the first head.... I plan on doing one at a time so to minimise the bits floating around...

The first of possibly many questions is...

It's originally a 14 head bolt engine, can I refit it with only 10, as I've heard that the outside 4 can be the cause of gasket failure.....

Thanks

Yes,

I have 3.9 10 bolt heads on my SD1 3.5, I believe that the other four bolts were a Rover idea and a bad one!

If you are refitting 14 bolt heads it may be better to fit the last four at a lower torque to fill the holes to stop mud etc?

Can some explain why leaving 4 bolts out would help?

On the early V8s they had 10 main head bolts, 5 either side of the cylinders at equal spacings just as the late v8's did but they also had a further row of 4 smaller bolts that went on the exhaust manifold side of the head. It's generally thought that these 4 bolts actually tip the head as it's very common for the early engines to blow the head gasket into the valley (i.e. the opposite side to the 4 extra bolts). Later on in V8 production, the extra bolt holes were omitted from the head and block and Land Rover reduced the number of bolts to just the 10 main bolts. This seemed to solve the problem. The advice i've followed with great success is to torque the 10 main bolts to the recommended figure for the later engines and then fit the 4 smaller bolts to 20nm with thread lock just to fill the holes.

Hope that helps

Nope.

Head bolts are stretch or non-stretch.

Stretch bolts take a torque, then plus degrees.

Non-stretch just take a torque figure.

Early V8s were non-stretch, later ones were stretch (suffix B onwards)

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/v8e/torque_wrench_settings/engine/

But then you can just look at the bolts to see if they are stretch or not, stretch bolts have a narrower shank under the head of the bolt, compared to non-stretch.

In theory you aren't supposed to use stretch bolts again, but some engine manufacturers state that if they do up to the first torque figure OK (in other words they aren't stretching and reducing the torque to turn), they are safe to use.

Personally I would just ARP them, and I think it is is then just 60-70lb/ft on a nut rather than a bolt, which is much less breathe-holding, as you can't really knacker the block like that :)