Its just not posible - it has to be wrong ....attention 'lecy'

Hybrid_From_Hell

Right,

I had a knackered 45 amp alternator, when I tested it with the engine revving I was luck to get much more than 13 and an ickle bit on Volts...now has a 90 amp jobbie tar everso Mr...

As such I was not suprised to see the battery (Twin Optimas) were not fully charged, and one was on its knees (reserve)

I removed both, shoved on the Optimate Battery condioner / charger (this has saved my and others bacon many a time)

battery one came up within 24 hours all green lights and fully charged and ok.

So, I disconnected and plugged onto battery 2.

This battery was showing around 4V when I checked it, and was run as the second battery on a National Luna split charge system, priority was to the main battery this came second, and had a knackered alternator on it now and again !

So, on went the charger, and no suprise it was showing as "Seriously F Big Time Flat"....

But, it seems to be charging maybe ?....but its been on since SUNDAY LAST WEEK !

And it says it STILL Charging ? :blink:

I know these are HUGE batteries, but this is just making me think Hmmmmmmmmmmm :angry:

In the past if the battery has completely had it it trips to the RED "dead buy a new battery" light, but it hasn't so far its just sitting there saying its charging ????

Anyone care to explain, surely to gawd Sunday Evening to Now is just "A Tad" too long ?

Kin Electrics

Nige

one of the worst things to do to a lead-acid bat is to leave it discharged for a long period. it causes permanent chemical damage, which increases the internal resistance (amonst other stuff) This means that when you do try to charge it, the normal charge voltage cannot push enough current through (is that correct? charger showing something like 1A or less?)

Some of the more advanced recovery chargers (perhaps optimate) use pulses of voltage to revover.

I would leave it a while & see what happens, but often after this kind of abuse they are fcuk'd. 4V is very very discharged.

one of the worst things to do to a lead-acid bat is to leave it discharged for a long period. it causes permanent chemical damage, which increases the internal resistance (amonst other stuff) This means that when you do try to charge it, the normal charge voltage cannot push enough current through (is that correct? charger showing something like 1A or less?)

Some of the more advanced recovery chargers (perhaps optimate) use pulses of voltage to revover.

I would leave it a while & see what happens, but often after this kind of abuse they are fcuk'd. 4V is very very discharged.

Its a Gel battery not a lead acid one ? does that make much difference though ??

nige

Bear in mind the Optimate is designed for bike batteries that at the best of times have as much potential energy a potato, give it a heavy duty deep cycle battery that holds lots and lots of magic smoke and it could take its time... I believe that if it detects suphation (this is what HoSS was referring to) it will give it a few blasts of high voltage to clear it, the fact that it hasn't done this, and hasn't flagged the battery as dead, suggests it might just drag it back from the dead.

I have had them flatter than that where it has waved the white flag (or red LED) and by plugging/unplugging it a few times it has finally decided to try charging it, and worked OK. Obviously if the battery is on it's last legs it's not going to last forever no matter what you do to it.

Nige, light some joss sticks and go arround the battery dancing a chanting to encourage the magic smoke back in. That'll sort it ;)

Or, just keep it plugged in a little longer. I've found they can take a little while to charge up propperly if they're really flat. Have you tested the battery since you charged it?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news......but......

If you let any lead acid battery get down to 4 volt - it will be ruinated! Deep cycle batteries like Optimas are a lot more resilient than regular batteries - but not to that extent.

I have a feeling you'll be sending it to Millers (metal recyclers in Horsham) very soon.

Dont let your batteries go below about 9v

Si