Lambda Recommendation

stuck

Evening,

Just refreshing my memory with regards to tuning, reading the manual it states that narrow band sensors shouldn't be used for tuning the higher cells of the ve table due to the risk of melting a piston or 3 :ph34r:

I'm currently using a FuelParts 86400 4 wire sensor which I think is narrow band?

Assuming it is can anyone recommend a wide band please?

Intention is to use it for a spell whilst tuning on road then replace it with the NB.

Cheers & Merry Christmas

Mick.

I have an innovate LC1, which has been a little problematic (and seems to the the rule rather than the exception). Works fine with a firmware upgrade.

I have heard good things about the Spartan2 on 14point7.com and have just ordered a couple, we'll see how they go! They use the later Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor which does not reference outside air and so doesn't need free air calibration to keep it accurate.

Mick, I have a Techedge Wideband O2 sensor, it was purchased and built as their DIY kit back in about 2002, its served me well with their 50mm round green LED gauge.

However, that being said, because of the LS7, I also have a HPtuners Pro interface which will take a 0-5v interface for logging plus having the GMPP ecu with twin lambda sensors (narrow band input), what I'm intending to so is install two Innovate LC2 sensors (about £130 a piece) and use the 0-5v for the HP tuners, and the narrow band outputs for the ECU inputs. Being the perfectionist for fuel trim the idea is to install EGT sensors (1 per cylinder) given the WBO2 only allows for fuel setting on 1/2 the engine, but not any fuel trim which would be interesting but not sure how much difference their is likely to be between cylinders in reality.

there are also Innovate LC-1 sensors about as well as the LC-2 (being the newer sensors).

when I tuned my 3.5 RV8 it ran spot on 14.7:1, it was very satisfying setting up and balancing the carbs using a WBO02.

Techedge although one of the first on the scene with wideband for the home mechanic market are now a little pricey compared to the the LC-1 / LC-2 (although having just read Quagmire's post ..... I may need to think and just get a second tech-edge (can't justify the dual channel WB02 from them)

Techedge: http://wbo2.com/

Innovate LC-1: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf

Innovate LC-2: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-2_Manual.pdf

The EGT is another story if anyone is interested in the setup.

Have a great christmas

Rob

Edit: having looked at the Techedge site again, I may go down the DIY route again (but I have a spare sensor too... and I know them well plus built one the first time and given Quagmire's comment above not sure on the innovate, I'm a long way off needing it anyway).

I have a TechEdge WBO2 diy and an Innovate LM-1, both with NTK sensors IIRC.

The TE was used for tuning my Hybrid on MS way back, before anyone had tried writing auto-tuning code.

The Innovate was bought as an upgrade, when there were deals to be done, but the TE worked so well I only used the Innovate a handful of times.

Neither gave me any trouble as far as I remember (it was quite while back!)

Dave

er....

You REALLY don't need one if you use Tuner Studio oe MLV.

The software tunes really well, takes longer, but end result is the same, and a fraction of the costs

WBs also die very easily, use a 4 wire NB + software

BBC on here did a side by side test of WB+ Software vs NB + Software vs Rolling road, the rolling road guy couldn't belive how close the NB had gotten it

right, plus some human input / tweeking / by Ian to get where it was.

Guy said that the rolling road + WB + Him would be a waste of money !

However, what is essential is that the setting uip of the parameters within MS is absolutely essential .....

Nige

Something else to consider when comparing wide and narrow band is the cost of petrol you put through the the thing while you are tuning, here atleast a wideband is about 2 tanks of petrol....

Tuning is tuning ? At least with the wide and you can see how rich or lean you are. Narrow band I would have thought is much harder given it's either way rich or way lean or close when it starts to cross over

No smart a^#^* just curious

Tuning is tuning ? At least with the wide and you can see how rich or lean you are. Narrow band I would have thought is much harder given it's either way rich or way lean or close when it starts to cross over

No smart a^#^* just curious

I was trying to say that the way I see it the tuning should be a quicker process with a wideband and the additional cost of a wideband is probably more than off set by quicker time (and therefore less fuel used). I have been meaning to look into tuner sudio documentation to see how they actually cope with using a narrow band to get afr targets that are outside a narrow band range