Need pics of a steering

De Ranged

if i could do that I'd use the 60 series box I have on the shelf lol.... problem is to clear the coils I have to move it forward enough it conflicts with the radiator.... the disco by dropping inside the chassis only needs to go forward enough for the vertical shaft to clear the diff housing, depending on angle it does have an issue due to a bulge in the lower part of the box think it could be a power assist ram

My problem is at the moment there isn't room to fit it with the draglink parallel... to give it room, looking down from above (plan view) to fit the pitman arm sticks forward by almost 2", part of this is due to rolling the axle due to the steeper angle of the radius arms, but this is only a few mm of forward movement .... I am still left with a draglink that is very noticeably not in line and due to limited time in the shed I didn't take the time to measure up before I removed all the bits off the disco chassis lol so I'm left scratching my head if landrover designed it this way lol

So I'd like some measures and angles

the angle off level for the bump stop flats on the axle (this gives me a base line to rotate the swivel housings when I sort caster, I will be adding more caster than factory... with 35" tyres 4-5 degrees works best)

the angle off level for the pitman arm looking in from the guard (steering arm on the steering box, this is one, will help sort the clearance issue)

a picture of the steering box and chassis with the axle so I can see how they all relate

and an attempt at a measure of distance from the axle tube to the draglink, if possible done in plan view (this will definitely show up what landrover has done)

Asked around the local clubs with no luck.... there isn't even one for sale locally I can go for a test ride in and measure lol

Untill I can find the answers I've moved onto the body.... started the outriggers for the bulkhead and sliders

Not disco but here is some pics of my ibex (disco front axle and defender steering box)

IMAG1117.jpg

IMAG1115.jpg

Sorry for out of focus lens fogged up and I didn't notice. All defender and disco axle/steering box positions are the same relative to each other it's only the radiator, engine and amount of chassis in front that changes.

Mike

thanks Mike, blury still shows what i need.... even without your draglink i can see from the panhard that your draglink will angle forward... as for the box I'll put money on it thats the same as the disco it looks identical the pitman arm is alot more drop than the disco.... mines near flat, is that a standard defender as it would be alot better than the flat one I have

any chance you have an angle/level gauge and you could give me some angles

Yes please Nige it will still show the same geometry.... it will just confirm, as Mikes is as much a mix as mine lol

4 bolt Defender/disco steering boxes are identical except the drop(Pittman) arm. I can use either drop arm it makes very little difference in fact most people over here swap the defender set up to disco as it deletes the God awful drop arm ball joint in favour of a track rod end. Yes mine is standard defender sorry no accurate way of measuring the angle. Ironically I've got a 90 with the disco drop arm set up but it's a bit dark for photos (the ibex photos were taken a while ago).

Mike

Thank you guys what you've posted has helped me solve the problem.... depending on how physically capable I am in the next couple of days, have agree'd to help a mate by topping a hedge.... taking 6m off the top of a 20m hedge lol and i don't think the body is really up for it lol

At 20m tall isn't it a row of trees rather than a hedge :o

It's not at all uncommon in New Zealand for a hedge, planted around a farmyard maybe a hundred years ago, to get that tall. Usually Cupressus macrocarpa. GREAT for firewood!

I survived lol enjoyed it, good fun to do a bit every now and then, keep the skills up... but have to admit the fitness isn't there any longer, I'm going to sleep well tonight

Would guess 16 to 20 yr old, mac's, some of them I was taking almost 10m out of the top.... this sort of thing is common enough especially with lifestylers lol they plant trees with out thinking about the care they need, this case was on a boundary, steep conditions behind a house with no way to get a hedge trimmer along... got a heap more work out there for them... Ash gum that over hangs the house and more macs and gums on the boundary