Heated windscreen

ejparrott

My point being was : one was charged for insurance but Glass is on the exclusion list for couriers so there is no insurance.

Basically you are paying for nothing. ( Is that clear enough.)

here's an extract from Ricky Evans Motorspoer website. ::

Packaging and Shipping

How do you package the glass to avoid breakage during transit?
All glass is wrapped prior to despatch. It is then foamed in its box to avoid damage, but dont worry our shipping is insured.

I dont see that it makes any difference if its checked on delivery or not

If not checked on delivery then thats their opt out!  ( Sorry there is nothing we can do ! )

You are charged for insurance that is non existant.   Simple as that !

If you did check it on delivery and found out it was broken then you would think that you would be covered by the insurance that you paid for, but since there is no such thing as insuring glass you aren't covered as they aren't insured..

Packaging and Shipping

How do you package the glass to avoid breakage during transit?
All glass is wrapped prior to despatch. It is then foamed in its box to avoid damage, but dont worry our shipping is insured.

That's a good CON isn't it?

No.

As for heated-screens, if it's a 'daily' I'd regard them as essential.

The question left is at what point after delivery, does breakage become the buyer's responsibility? Hours?... days, weeks or years?. That's an easy one. Me? I'd say pretty damned quick.. Insurance or not, glass or not, a courier-breakage claim is going to be deemed valid at delivery, void much after. And if they can weedle out of it, they will. We all would.

Insurances companies don't write cheques because we *think* we're entitled. What's needed for damage after delivery is another insurance policy.

Hark your solicitor's words...

What we've got here is an accidental damage/ home-contents claim. "That's £250. Now get out of my office. "

Edited by Landrover17H

I fully understand your views, it is very difficult to inspect on delivery sometimes and after the event you cannot get rid of the anger since it is too late.

Stuff gets left unsigned or the person signing does not know what to do once received. I think that they have given you 24hrs which is not bad, I don't know what your statutory rights are (have you checked?).

The insurance thing seems odd, is you comment a std delivery insurance statement and is their insurance statement re the insurance they provided? Reading the website it looks like their insurance requires the 24hr notification so I guess it expires after that.

But the bottom line is that you agree that it should have been checked within 24 hrs but was not. It was not even the next day so it is a bit late, sorry.

I bought an electric Bass online for my daughter, after I got it in the house to open it (courier had left), I noticed a tear in the front of the box so before opening it I took photos. On opening there was a deep gash/dent in the front of the guitar. The company provided a replacement.

The key was I had photo evidence before opening the box. Mail order businesses used to state "Check box before opening", sometime they state "before accepting" but nowadays they generally don't state anything unless it is in the T&Cs.

I see it from both sides, and running a mail-order company, lock-down has both served and murdered me in equal measure. Couriers used to get signatures, now they throw it at my customer's doorstep. When customers don't get their goods, or say they don't, who carries the can?

1) Me the supplier?

2) The customer for not being in to receive?

3) The courier for not insisting on a 'coughed-on' COVID signature?

You could argue this one all day, it won't end well for someone.

And 'Free Delivery' is a given. In the drive to the bottom, the courier's are half the price they were 25 years ago - who can blame them as I watch things go ever worse by the week?

This morning, at my account rates, I sent a large carton to Ireland for £9.62. That would have cost me £25+, 20 years ago. I don't know how they do it, seems more often they don't...

Edited by Landrover17H

17 hours ago, LWB 109 Driver said:

here you go my friend.

Picture of box before being opened.

Just a shame we were very busy that day , didn't notice the damage and just put it to one side

IMG_5856[1].JPG

I feel both your pain and irritation, given this pic I would have hoped they would at least consider it!

Is there nothing under the internet buying rules to help?

I too see the pain and irritation, and somebody is going to take a hit. Yet, if there's a strong case for it being the supplier's hit over a customer's, or vice versa, I can't see it.

Is there nothing under the internet buying rules to help?

Not really, and I do this for a living. There's no real protection and nor should there be. Often it's me that takes the fall, often it isn't. 'tis the name of the game. The difference being, customers tend to cry more.

My 'appenny in this is two electric heater fans off ebay 12 quid each , one for each screen . About five minutes in the frosty morning ( with engine running as they suck 300 watts  ) and the glass is warm . Turn them upside down to warm yr knees afterwards .  K

17 hours ago, Qhriss said:

My 'appenny in this is two electric heater fans off ebay 12 quid each , one for each screen . About five minutes in the frosty morning ( with engine running as they suck 300 watts  ) and the glass is warm . Turn them upside down to warm yr knees afterwards .  K

I tried one of those years ago and it was utter rubbish.  The air was at best tepid and it wouldn’t clear any condensation on the inside of the screen.  They may have improved since then, but they’re still untidy and noisy.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, Snagger said:

I tried one of those years ago and it was utter rubbish.  The air was at best tepid and it wouldn’t clear any condensation on the inside of the screen.  They may have improved since then, but they’re still untidy and noisy.

yup bit noisy , but using two gets the result . Better than that terrible circular heater :(  K

My wife’s Lightweight had the not incomparable rectangular heater and de mister, and that worked pretty well.  You’d be amazed how how choked off the heater gets with the rust and sludge in the steel pipes along the head and the blockages in the control valve.  Add a corroded or scaled heater matrix, and it’ll be terrible.

On my 109, the SIII standard heater was barely adequate, but a Defender unit substitute made a lot of difference.  But the heated screens were a revelation as you don’t need the engine to warm up and you can keep the heater air directed into the foot wells!