200 tdi front shock bottom pins

Afternoon, just fitting axle back on my 200 defender. I've put new pro comp es9000 front shocks on, but the bottom mounting pin seems very close to the axle casing (about 3mm clearance) Has anyone had this problem before? Can I just shave a bit off the bottom pin?thanks.

Agreed, its surprising how much the rubber compresses- and rather than damage the axle its the shock that's more likely to damage ( although there is also rubber at the top mount as well so its a fairly big bang before contact )

Reassembling a hacksaw around the mount allows you to cut through the rubber bush and pin in a couple of minutes :)

Yes good idea, thinking about that just cutting the rubber bush out might expose enough to get some long pipe grips on the pin.

Its not that they are usually that tight just access is impossible- someone here was asking about ratchet ring spanners, my Mac ratchets will go on and the ratchet is fine enough to slacken them

With old or oem shocks I put a ratchet strap round the tube and tighten it to the spring, but I don't do that with Bilsteins etc.

It's a common problem with these. If you come down hard on the front, the rubber will compress before the shock does and the end of the pin hits the axle casing. Normally it just bends the pin rather than damaging the casing. I've fitted quite a few of these over the years and always cut 10-15 mm off the end with the grinder first.

the piece on the end of mine was cut off on the front shocks as like some people have commented there isn't enough room below the pin. I found you had to use an 8mm open ended spanner on the end whilst tightening the nut above a bit at a time, only to find you can't get the ring spanner off. If you try with the open end there is barely enough room to turn the nut to get the next flat.

On my second set of es9000's I cut the pin after the last thread, you can hold/turn the body of the shock with a pipe wrench for doing and undoing, as the 8mm thingy is useless anyway once the shocks have been on 3-4 years.

Evening all. Thanks for your replys. After some thinking, I cut the spanner lugs off the bottom of the shocks. This has left more than enough clearance now. I too wasn't convinced by the fag paper of original clearence. I like to be on the safe side. Thanks