Price & Cruising Speed?

Hi,

I am relatively new to LR's. I have a Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi 1994, 141 000 miles. I have had it a month.

My first question is, what do you think the price should be for the above in good condition?

I have bought it to do mainly green laning and touring around Europe. What would say would be a comfortable cruising speed for the above. I have nothing to compare with, so I'm not sure if mine is sluggish or normal. It seems quite comortable at 65mph on the autobahn. Does that seem ok?

Cheers, Paul.

Are you selling it? I always say it is worth what you want to pay. (....but I would say a ball park figure of 4.5K (in GBP))

My 200Tdi cruises at 65 perfectly well, but above that is a tad noisy and feels like something will break! SO all in all sounds pretty normal to me. :P

Thanks Muddyplugger! That is reassuring to hear ref the speed. I drove it from the UK to Germany where I live. After 500 miles I felt like I had been put through a blender! So I find it remarkable when I see postings of people planning trips down to South of France, Spain and even North Africa. They make it sound so easy, but that must be one hell of a trip in a Defender.

I used to drive 1300 mile each way to Transylvania in a Volvo XC70, and thought that was bad. Maybe I have been too spoilt, and just need to slow down a bit. Getting there was the objective in past, rather than taking any pleasure in the trip itself getting there. Even in the short time I have had the LR, I seem to be taking trips that I would never had considered in the past. Because you are not going anywhere fast you seem to stop more and take more notice of what's on route.

Cheers, Paul.

Mine is happy to do the longer journeys at 55, or 65 and will happily sit at 75-80 if I'm prepared to keep stopping for fuel !

I have to say, with the roof rack removed it is a LOT quieter.... And probably getting another +1 MPG there somewhere !

I have to say since getting mine i have not been bothered about trundeling along at 55-60mph and the silly thing is it seems to talk just as much time and when you are hurtling along at silly speed

I agree. Just with nothing to compare with I wasn't sure if my landy is up to scratch. I am getting about 29mph, which seems pretty good.

56's not unreasonable if untuned however they can do quite a lot more. With some slightly stiffer springs and better shocks along with comfortable seats and taller gearing (either larger tyres or a discovery transfer box) and they make pretty good cruisers. My 90 (when it was on 33" Mud terrains) used to sit happily at 80 if asked to and was comfortable. Old Man Emu suspension and decent seats helped.

Mine is happy to do the longer journeys at 55, or 65 and will happily sit at 75-80 if I'm prepared to keep stopping for fuel !

I have to say, with the roof rack removed it is a LOT quieter.... And probably getting another +1 MPG there somewhere !

I wanted to put a roof rack on, but the garage door entrance is not big enough to accommodate one. Sounds like the garage has done me a favour!

56's not unreasonable if untuned however they can do quite a lot more. With some slightly stiffer springs and better shocks along with comfortable seats and taller gearing (either larger tyres or a discovery transfer box) and they make pretty good cruisers. My 90 (when it was on 33" Mud terrains) used to sit happily at 80 if asked to and was comfortable. Old Man Emu suspension and decent seats helped.

I went down to a big lake near Duelmen today with the dog. I put my foot down on the autobahn, and although the speed goes up to 70-75mph, it seems to be working hard. To be honest it was best at 60-65mph. But from waht all of you have said that sounds pretty fair.

I will go over to British4x4 in Holland next month for a service, and get them to look at the injectors and intercooler. The ride is pretty comfortable, so I may leave the shocks and springs for now.

Cheers, Paul.

Guest dew110CSW

My TD (Not quite the like yours but good for a comparision figure) will hit 70 for fun but it's like a speed limiter, will NOT go above it without the aid of a downhill and a tailwind. Gets very noisy at 70+ as well.

Guest dew110CSW
probably think you & dew1911 in that link are the same person :unsure:

dew1911 WAS me, but it was a long time ago now, a lot of water under the bridge since then.

I know who this is, and his only reason here is to cause trouble for me. Should really be banned now before he has a chance to make yet another ass of himself.

HI

I have a Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi 1989, 145 000 miles, the 200tdi has been transplanted from a 1990 defender.

I have 265/70R16 general grabbers at2 , for cruising speed, I get 60-75 without a problem, a litte noisy above 65mph and a bit scary above 70, but I drive mostly at 60mph, I like to listen for any *new* noises coming from the landy.

At 60mph in 5th gear (on level road) I can floor it and I get quite a kick of acceration.

So I would say that your landy is fine.

And I like to watch people faces when they drive up to your bumper at 90, and suddenly have the impulse to over take you at all costs. Even if you are driving in a 40mph zone. Much saver cruising at 40mph with your higher driving position, so you can see the idiots far ahead.

So much talk about 4x4 unsafe, I love driving my defender around at a slightly slower rate. If I wanted to drive fast I would have bought a wee sports car.

HI

I have a Defender 110 CSW 200Tdi 1989, 145 000 miles, the 200tdi has been transplanted from a 1990 defender.

I have 265/70R16 general grabbers at2 , for cruising speed, I get 60-75 without a problem, a litte noisy above 65mph and a bit scary above 70, but I drive mostly at 60mph, I like to listen for any *new* noises coming from the landy.

At 60mph in 5th gear (on level road) I can floor it and I get quite a kick of acceration.

So I would say that your landy is fine.

And I like to watch people faces when they drive up to your bumper at 90, and suddenly have the impulse to over take you at all costs. Even if you are driving in a 40mph zone. Much saver cruising at 40mph with your higher driving position, so you can see the idiots far ahead.

So much talk about 4x4 unsafe, I love driving my defender around at a slightly slower rate. If I wanted to drive fast I would have bought a wee sports car.

I'm feeling pretty cool about the speed now. I didn't buy the LR for racing, but touring and off roading. I usually drive over to Transylvania each year from Muenster in Germany. Next year will be the first time in a LR, so will need to book extra leave off work. I have done one 450 mile trip in it and seems to run fine. The heat guage needle seems to be slightly over half, so will need to keep a close eye on that.

By the way your Landy looks nice and tidy.

Cheers, Paul.

dew1911 WAS me, but it was a long time ago now, a lot of water under the bridge since then.

I know who this is, and his only reason here is to cause trouble for me. Should really be banned now before he has a chance to make yet another ass of himself.

OK :i-m_so_happy:

as for the other person, my secret spies :ph34r: :ninja: will be deployed :i-m_so_happy:

Guest diesel_jim

I've got a Td5 110 CSW. even that is more than happy to cruise at 65~70mph, although at work i'm usually in more of a hurry, so gun it to 75~80~85mph (on private land, of course....) but it too sounds like the engine will fall apart (again..), it really needs a 1.2:1 transfer box for motorway work.

And chipping.....

and a bigger intercooler and turbo....

and a better stereo.....

and....

and....

Cheers Paul

Hmm, I had a problem couple of months ago, the temperature gauge was edging up from half to 3/4 if I drove over 65. and generally was higher than normal, 1. I changed coolant, and thermostat, (Still hot) 2. changed temperature sender and checked wire (still hot)

Then I looked at the back of radiator 50% of the fins where missing , rusting away.. funny looks OK from front, but when the radiator was removed the fins were falling off,

Solution , change the radiator , refill coolant , things are fine now, running at half on the gauge.

I would check several things before going on a long trip, I found this site, when I was checking my landy for my last 1000mile trip .

diff 6000mile service

Good luck

Craig

I've got a Td5 110 CSW. even that is more than happy to cruise at 65~70mph, although at work i'm usually in more of a hurry, so gun it to 75~80~85mph (on private land, of course....) but it too sounds like the engine will fall apart (again..), it really needs a 1.2:1 transfer box for motorway work.

And chipping.....

and a bigger intercooler and turbo....

and a better stereo.....

and....

and....

I know what you mean, the list is endless. I have just been reading "Double Standard" in this months LR Owner international, Vince Cobley's double cab expedition vehicle. What a landy that is, but must have cost a fortune to put together. Only thing is where would the fun be if it was there on a plate? Half the pleasure of owning a Landy is getting dirty and working things out, and saving up and adding bits.

I have a brand new Volvo XC70 which my wife dominates and bumps into things (don't tell her I told you that!), and it aint half as much fun! I have only had my LR a month, and suddenly your part of a club, with people waving at you as you drive past!

Cheers Paul

Hmm, I had a problem couple of months ago, the temperature gauge was edging up from half to 3/4 if I drove over 65. and generally was higher than normal, 1. I changed coolant, and thermostat, (Still hot) 2. changed temperature sender and checked wire (still hot)

Then I looked at the back of radiator 50% of the fins where missing , rusting away.. funny looks OK from front, but when the radiator was removed the fins were falling off,

Solution , change the radiator , refill coolant , things are fine now, running at half on the gauge.

I would check several things before going on a long trip, I found this site, when I was checking my landy for my last 1000mile trip .

diff 6000mile service

Good luck

Craig

Thanks for that Craig, i will check my radiator tomorrow. I have already checked the front, but didn't consider the rear. Thanks also for the link. That will make life much easier.

Cheers, Paul