Low oil pressure on 200tdi

Good day,

Although I have read most if not all the post regarding low oil pressure problems, all the remedies suggested have not been applicable to me current problem.

I recently bought a used 200tdi engine. On starting and testing I noticed a flickering oil light at idle. I rebuilt the engine in an attempt to resolve this problem.

As the usual cam bearing problem was not seen ( bearing had not shifted or spun) my attention was turned to the other bearings, passages and possible contributors. I had the crank was cut to .020 on both main and Conrod. New oil pump was fitted alone with new pistons. One of the oil jets was also broken and therefore replaced.

On starting the engine after the rebuild I am amazed to find 30 psi at cold idle, 45psi at driving rpm and 7psi at hot idle and 40 psi at driving rpm.

Does anyone have any suggestions or a detailed oil flow diagram that's could assist me identifying the cause of this problem?

Regards.

The odd ones include;

Cracked pick up pipe,

Bad suction gasket,

Debris in pickup pipe,

Some obscure seal is duff.

Some restrict or is missing (rocker)

Those are generic engine faults. you can't have lost a core plug as there would be no pressure. I would check that it isn't gushing out of the rocker assembly.

It's just a cast gallery down the side of the block on almost everything, that is drilled through to the mains. Other than gaskets at the ends there isn't much to go wrong?

Thank you for the list Team Idris, I would like to do a detailed check of these areas mentioned as it my believe there is an open or unrestricted flow somewhere in the oil path. For this reason I would like a detailed diagram of the oil path. Can you say if the banjo bolt fitted to the turbo oil supply line should have some restriction in it?

Vulcan Bomber I am using a mechanical gauge to measure the pressure.

Just on a point of clarity, does the O ring for the oil pickup pipe fits on the pipe or between the pipe and the pump body. I have noticed the manuals showing this o ring in front of the pipe rather than over the pipe, between the washer and the pipe flange, which is where I have mine installed.

That's what I had noticed as in the manuals it appears to be between the pipe and the pump however it was really fitted on the pickup pipe.

I have used the diagram and I have gone over all the possible problem areas with the cam, crank and turbo checking out okay. Could a leaking or ill fitted oil jet cause the lost in oil pressure I am experiencing?

Check your turbo charger for worn bearings - if they have excess movement, they will allow too much oil flow and divert oil away from the other parts of the engine. I also removed the washer from around the oil cooler thermostat (inside the filter housing neck) as it causes too much of a restriction when warm. The oil temperature went up fractionally when running hard on the motorway, but the pressure went up considerably. The rest of the thermostat is still there.

What oil are you using?

I had consider the lost via the turbo and disconnect the oil feed from the turbo and blocked it off, still no improvement in the oil pressure. I am using 10w-40 oil.

I will look at the washer on the stat however do you have any idea how the oil spray jets work. I also wonder if it is possible for oil pressure to be lost from these jets?

Check the crankshaft: On a Triumph I worked on, it suddenly developed low oil pressure. On this engine the oilways in the crank that coupled the main bearings to the big-ends had screw-in metal blanking plugs to close off the holes where the oilways had been drilled.

When the crank had been reground the regrinder rightfully removed the plugs to clear out any crud from the oilways.

One of the plugs hadn't been tightened up correctly and after a few thousand miles escaped from its hole - leaving a passage from the main-bearing circumferential oil channel directly back to the sump down which all the oil pressure escaped.

• 2 weeks later...

There is in fact a relive valve in the banjo bolt which secure the jets to the block. I actually used a air compressor to determing the opening pressure which turns out to be about 26 psi. That discovery has just added one more possible contributor which I now know is operating fine.

My camshaft bearing are in place and have not moved, how do I however check their clearances? This low oil pressure really has me challenged.

There is in fact a relive valve in the banjo bolt which secure the jets to the block. I actually used a air compressor to determing the opening pressure which turns out to be about 26 psi. That discovery has just added one more possible contributor which I now know is operating fine.

Well that's something I've learnt today, :i-m_so_happy: never had the bottom end of my 200tdi apart, so didn't know the bolts had internal valves.

Thanks, I am now about to turn my attention to the upper half of the engine. Do you have a photo showing where this restrictor is or know the size of the oil Chanel in the in the head?

I refuse to be beaten by this problem and intend to continue until the source of this problem is found. I therefore welcome any ideas on the possible problem

• Like 1

Was the head removed before this concern started?

The restriction is in the head gasket like the 300Tdi if not mistaken, there is no specific size in the workshop manual as far as I could determain, I may be wrong on this one.

The size I like in the head gasket is 1mm

The problem started before the head was removed. I got the engine with this problem, although the vehicle was driving the oil light switch was not working.

I pull the engine apart after replacing the switch and found the light flickering at idle. I took the engine apart but found nothing unusual during my examination of the engine then. I am now in the process of doing a more detailed examination of all the suspected areas with the hope of finding the reason for the low oil pressure during normal tempature idle.