Bigger tyres on the Disco? careful what you wish for.

Nigelw

I always wanted bigger tyres on the Disco, easily rationalized by the "ability to tackle Defender sized ruts".

I bought what I thought were going to be the right tyres in the right size, Cooper STT in 235/85 16, right tyres, but wrong size, they stand in at 32 1/2" tall and in short, they ruined the driveability, only 10% increase in gearing but 10% too much! Driving in town is carp, country roads are carp, only good bit is on the highway except for slow stop start traffic.

Going back down a few sizes now, although you have options, changing the CW&Ps for the diffs or a 1.4 transfer box from a Defender, all these other options cost you more money, cheaper to choose the right size first.

If you want to fit bigger tyres, just becareful what you wish for, you might not like it once you got it!

That is a huge jump in tyre height, from 29 inches to 32.5, with no gain in width, I assume you have cut the arches.

Anything less than 5% increase/decrease is ok for gearing, so with a Disco/Rangie it is just under 1.5 inches, so a 265/70 x 16 is just about ok, but not on standard arches. The biggest I managed on my Discovery before cutting the arches was 245/70 x 16.

Firstly I'd like to say that I've travelled on roads that had ruts deep enough to swallow Toyotas, Nissans, Defenders and Discovery's and while I wont say I've never had a problem (that's what winches are for) I've never had to seriously consider raising the body or increasing the size of the standard 235 od tyres.

When I first got my Disco it was a consideration however, I researched it fully and came to the conclusion that to do so effectively and not affect the speedometer, and the standard drive ranges it would entail changing both the differential ratios, and that was a seriously expensive option. The other consideration that this modification entailed was that if I had a car with altered differential ratios I would be really screwed if I "blew" a diff and couldn't easily obtain a replacement, a standard ratio I could, a non-standard I couldn't.

On more than one occasion I've had to stop, get out the shovel and back-fill a deep hole(s) with sand or rocks before I continued on my way, simply because the ruts were deeper than my ground clearance.

OFF TOPIC.

Most of these deep ruts have been caused by other 4WD's spinning their tyres in deep mud and causing the residual rut, if you do this guys and girls, please, please, think of your fellow travellers, once you're on dry ground get out, grab your shovel, go back and fill your bloody bog hole in :angry2: it's like leaving soiled toilet paper on the ground, there is NO need for it, put it in a paper bag and take it home with you or to your next camp site and burn it in the camp fire. Both of these are examples of total dis-respect for your fellow travellers and the environment.

These problems are unfortunately all part of outback touring, like on one occasion taking two days to chain-saw down trees to make a "bridge" to cross a narrow and very deep swollen creek where the original wooden tree bridge had been swept away - apparently (or so I'm told), this is quite a common occurrence on the Queensland Cape York telegraph track after annual cyclones have passed through.

I run 265/75's on 16x8 0 offset rims with a 3" lift and flexi flares, i find the auto on my tdi takes up any problems with lack of power on take off.

Even towing my camper trailer with family on board it was happy doing 110kph, but i will be swapping to a 1.4 TC when funds allow as i plan on more towing and dont want to stress the driveline too much and a VNT will provide a welcome boost.