Waterproof air filter box solution

henk

My project (200tdi in a LHD Series) gets almost to an end but now facing the search for a good waterproof airbox.

I have a 200tdi and a TD version laying around but almost no space to fit them decently in combination with a snorkel.

Snorkel is a Southdown with 2.5"" tube that preferably goes to an airbox with 2.5" connections like for example BMC CDA boxes.

Is there something on the market that's not too expensive?

Henk

One solution might be as I have done on my 110 , there is no airfilter in the engine bay , but the snorkel tube goes to a Donaldson filter mounted on the front corner of the roof rack The Donaldson is waterproof , and is up out of the way of standing water anyway. HTSH

My snorkel lands on the airfilter housing (just behind the header tank):

P4210231comp.jpg

I brazed the water dump hole shut and brazed a 200 tdi connection to the 300 tdi air filter cover. close the cover with a good bead of sikaflex, as the o-ring always leaks.

I wouldn't use the 2.5" snorkel though, I think it is restrictive; the rest of the system is 3" from factory for a reason.

Daan

On the RRC I used the standard steel air box but welded up the water drain trap and replaced the trumpet with a bit of tube (about 80mm dia I think). This then goes to a tractor cyclonic pre filter in the usual air intake position which I admit is a bit ugly but after 3 years the air filter still looks very clean. I silicone the lid on then cut off when I want to change the filter but I think this is only necessary if your planning on sitting with the filter box submerged for some time.

I've seen some really neat ones used of Renault cars but it's getting harder to wander around scrap yards now to find one you like.

@Daan: no heating?

I found an alu filter (think it's a green filter) with a 2.5" inch at one side and 85mm at the other side. My friend milled me a reducer so problem solved until the first test drive

Thanks for reactions

Excuse my ignorance - but is it not worth keeping a one way water trap ? If only for rain water ?

I haven't found a reliable way of letting water out without letting water in. But rainwater that is in there just evaporates and enters the engine as vapour. no problem with that.

@Daan: no heating?

I found an alu filter (think it's a green filter) with a 2.5" inch at one side and 85mm at the other side. My friend milled me a reducer so problem solved until the first test drive

Thanks for reactions

no heating. I have been using aftermarket filters in the past, but have come back to a standard, genuine paperfilter, as big as you can package and I believe that is best. As mentioned, I think the 2.5" wouldn't be my choice.

Daan

If I remove the heating, I have place enough for a standard 200tdi or 300tdi housing at the RH side but then I've to put the snorkel there as well.

With this filter I can put the snorkel very close to the inlet at the LH side