A Frame ball joint error

JeffR

You can get boots of all sorts of sizes on Ebay, I buy what I need individually, assuming the actual joint is OK.

This sort of thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-COMMERCIAL-DUST-BOOT-RUBBER-COVER-FOR-BALL-JOINT-TRACK-ROD-END-/350567565759

I have no idea how big an A-frame BJ is though :)

*edit* Ooops, here's one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-RRC-rear-A-frame-ball-joint-dust-cover-NRC6631-/221052615954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3377c33d12

You certainly seem to have been in the wars just recently Jeff, - is Mrs Jeff talking to you yet - in words greater than one syllable?? If you want a quick fix go to your local plumbers supplies and check out their smallest corrugated "Dektite" these are used to water seal pipes going through roofs and the like, they range in sizes from 24" dia. down to 1/2" - you should be able to find one that will suit the rear ball joint.

Didn't think they could be so expensive given that you can buy a ball joint for about £12, £8.50 is extracting the urine a tadge! Think I'll have a wander down the local motor factors and see what they have that match. Bloody ball joint was fitted for an MOT that the vehicle from which the axle came from failed spectacularly on terminal (and I mean terminal) rust.

Boydie, the wife is speaking, poor bugger is so used to me she can't stay angry for too long. The worst I ever saw her was when I got into dung beetles, you get different species according to the species from which the dung originates, so I spent rather more time than is considered healthy (in "normal" occupations) collecting assorted turds and waiting for the critters to lay their eggs. assorted turds were placed in various boxes and secreted around the airing cupboard. Then the wife got nosey, the resulting explosion was on a biblical scale, evidently in womens worlds a pond in a bucket is fine, but a turd in a box is less than not.....

Well as I had nothing to lose, I ordered an adjustable one from DLS. Rings local garages who wanted the best part of £40 to push the old one out, so being the adaptable skinflint that I am (and having a spare ball joint housing, albeit knackered) I decided to see if I could get the one out without resorting to hydraulics. Guess what, you can with a wee bit of work (took two hours). First of all you need to cut the lip which holds the boot off. Pull out the ball and nylon cup it sits in. Then it gets fun, drill the biggest hole you can through the bottom of the ball joint housing, I used a 13mm drill, shove a decent hacksaw blade through and slot the housing carefully on two opposite sides without marking the housing (stop cutting with about half a mill left) then cut the two ears where the M8 bolts go off, place over two bricks and smack with a big hammer, comes out a treat without damaging the housing. Job done.