Home made Bearing/Bush press

Maverik

Depending how big your steel is you can hire the magnetic drill presses for not silly money. I assumed they were bolted to make shipping from china more cost effective as they come over flat pack. Don't they say something like 1/2 tonne per inch of good weld?

I find my press twists when your jacking especially when things arn't square so I would be tempted to weld some plates over the welded joints to disperse the load along the length of the steel and reduce the likelihood of the welds being torn if it twists. Neater than my work though :)

We welded our press together, been fine (6ft tall) One thing I would say is make the top and the bed strong enough. Our entire press is 4" x 2" box section (about 6mm wall). The top has triangulated pieces and thus strong, but we flex the bed with a 25t force.

Soon I'll swap to the conventional way of 2 pieces of channel iron for the bed. Maybe 8 or 10" ?

G

Got my gas refill yesterday so it was "on like donkey kong"...

Just need to weld a suitable lump of steel to the bottom of the jack base plate to be the load pusher bit, was also thinking about bolting the jack down to the base plate too to help keep it aligned.

Tested it to 3.5t and as far as I could see, it didn't move a muscle, creek grown or otherwise.

post-20087-0-86050300-1433312466_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-09901000-1433312469_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-17313800-1433312471_thumb.jpg

Fitted the gauge to the jack after reading this thread, pretty easy really, just some careful drilling, you don't have to fully strip the jack, just remove the main piston and cylinder.

This is how you fit a gauge, pretty easy really, you don't have to dismantle the thing fully - sorry I meant to post the link at the end of the last post...

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/hydraulic-rocket-press.asp

Well used it in anger for the first time last night to fit the housing to my overdrive (main reason why I built it!) and its worked an absolute treat! well it looks like its done a good job, I guess I'll find it out when I fit the drive its as quiet as a mouse...

You may laugh at the bungy, but it actually works... I was struggling to find springs that could cope with such a long extension, so I improvised, my neighbour has just offered me a 20t jack... so maybe it will be getting upgraded sooner than I thought!... might have to add a bit more steel for that...

I wonder about making the hole from the cylinder much smaller bore then just drill and tap for the NPT gauge fitting?

Exactly what I did. I used a 3mm hole into the side, then used a 4mm hole in the base to connect it up, as I was drilling "freehand" I wanted a little extra to make sure I hit the intersection, I then only went as deep as I needed for the NPT fitting size. took me an hour or so to do.

In a standard LR jack you can only really go in in the centre of the base from below. Drill and tap a 1/8 and then fittings / gauge to suit.

We couldn't find a way to go in the side.

Works really well for weighing vehicle corners etc.

G

• Like 1