Getting home with a broken clutch fork?

Nigelw

Just off the phone from Marcel, he has no clutch at all, pedal just hits the floor, helped him with new clutch in it maybe 3/4 months back, everything replaced only, he didn't get a new clutch fork so my guess is old one has died under the pressure of new clutch springs.

He is 60kms from home, I told him to just start in gear and do some clutchless shifting, but whats the general concesus on this? Recovery truck is gonna cost him 300 :o

Some vehicles are easier than others, but most LR are easy enough to get the hang of.

I commuted 100 miles/day for several days at a time with duff clutch slave, more than once in my 200tdi disco.

Farthest ever for me was Portsmouth -> Middlesbrough -> Portsmouth (~650 miles) after the clutch release failed 10 miles after starting out, though that was in a hire van :ph34r:

Can be hard on the starter motor though, don't be surprised if the internal reduction gear bursts sometime in the future if it's a tdi.

The worst I have had, (touch wood), is the alternator went on my Disco 200tdi with no warning light. I drove in the day to take a relative to hospital and then had to drive home in the dark. After bump starting the car in the car park, I had drive 25 miles home with no lights. It was fine on main roads with street lights, but the last 7 miles to home were unlit and I had to wait for another car to come along to follow their lights!

Well he made it home, clutchless shifting did the trick, I am far too busy at work to run errands(I hate fitting kitchens under a deadline!) Although I have been known to find ways to make work fit around helping out mates ;)

Will tell him to get a starter in the stores ready to go on, thanks for that tip :D

Some vehicles are easier than others, but most LR are easy enough to get the hang of.

I commuted 100 miles/day for several days at a time with duff clutch slave, more than once in my 200tdi disco.

Farthest ever for me was Portsmouth -> Middlesbrough -> Portsmouth (~650 miles) after the clutch release failed 10 miles after starting out, though that was in a hire van :ph34r:

Can be hard on the starter motor though, don't be surprised if the internal reduction gear bursts sometime in the future if it's a tdi.

Ditto.

Drove my Defender for two weeks with a broken fork while organising the new bits.

Funnily enough the batteries and starter motor coped with the knock into neutral, turn off and start in first gear regime when coming to a dead stop, but I don't live in the city either. :D