Clutch....

ajh

So I had a valeo HD clutch installed and the friction disc came apart (rivet failure) so I swapped in a LUK friction disc that looked identical in thickness.... now without changing anything else at all it is behaving like the pushrod is too short. At best the clutch slips with the pedal fully depressed...

Ideas?

Are you certain that the plate is the right way round?, this can make a significant difference. Small variations in plate thickness make little difference on mechanical or hydraulic systems, as that is pretty-much compensated for either automatically with a hydraulic system or adjustment on a mechanical system. LUK clutches are OE spec, and are good quality. I wouldn't recommend just changing the plate though.

Les

It is what I had... it is installed correctly; this is the 4th in this vehicle..:( I've tried adjusting the pedal box, as well as changing to a slightly different slave cylinder... I guess the master is the only real thing left.

I tried fitting a friction plate the wrong way and you can't, the boss fowls on summet and just looks very wrong.

Try the master cylinder change, that and the rubber flexi hose near the slave can starts to balloon which could cause symptoms like you've said...

I rebuilt the pedal box to remove the small amount of slop I was feeling but when re-fitting I noticed the screw that in the diagrams is for 'pedal height' on mine is nearly at the bulkhead and above the first pivot so has zero affect on pedal height... is this a different type of pedal box that I can't find the directions for? The screw seems to be a stop for maximum pedal depression and not resting height as it touches the pedal arm just above the assist spring...

Well, looks like it's the master... obvious wear on the piston and seal.. I'm close to just machining my own replacement unit. There's got to be a better way to do these; not every vehicle has them failing this often.

The annotation of the drawing is wrong, that is indeed the pedal stop.

I set the 140mm pedal height with one nut on the push rod, the other nut sets the 1/4 inch of free play. In reality there is enough play in the clutch pedal pivot assembly to cover the play so the free play nut usually ends up run right up to the trunnion.

HTH

Mo