Transporting a roof

Inigo

I seem to have won a Safari roof for a 110 and am only now trying to work out how to collect it. My thoughts were to strap it, upside down to the Patriot rack on my 110 and then drive very slowly.

Any reason why this should not work. I'll have to try and support it on battens to avoid crushing the bumps above the vents.

Any tips gratefully received.

I seem to have won a Safari roof for a 110 and am only now trying to work out how to collect it. My thoughts were to strap it, upside down to the Patriot rack on my 110 and then drive very slowly.

Any reason why this should not work. I'll have to try and support it on battens to avoid crushing the bumps above the vents.

Any tips gratefully received.

sounds more like a 109 Safari roof with the 4 vents to me, never seen one on any 110/defender

Yes, you are right, from a 109, force of habit calling them 110s. I'm attempting to fit just the holes and the top skin to my existing 110 ribbed roof.

This sounds interesting, be sure to post some pictures when you do it :)

I drove 200 miles with a 90 roof fixed via battens and straps to the roof rails on my golf estate. ... got some strange looks I can assure you! !

Ditto - but I can confirm a you can transport a 110's roof on the roof bars of a Renault Scenic. Just watch for high winds if you happen to have an over-hang!! Was an interesting drive back from Landy-Novice's place to Bristol!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

So managed to get the roof home OK and it seemd in OK condition considering.

2015-06-19%2016.51.15_zpsmwvmtdkd.jpg

Though there was an old wasps's nest under the headling which might have been entertaining.

2015-06-19%2016.51.20_zps9k0o9pmz.jpg

Most of the internal nuts came undone with an impact wrench, angle grinder only needed for a couple. The pan head screws at each end were less accomodating. And then drilled through a bunch of rivets running down the strengthening support bars.

Seems in good nick, if slightly bent.

2015-06-19%2017.06.04_zpsdrxdrbpy.jpg

Vents were rustier than I had hoped. I will strip these down and, if they ar salvageable, get them re-galvanised.

2015-06-19%2017.06.10_zpshmn1iv8q.jpg