Value of a 300tdi defender - break or repair.

oneandtwo

I've just picked up an MOT failed 1996 90, completely standard bar some chequerplate on sills, not a dent on it and fantastic bulkhead and doors, the best I've seen infact in over fifteen I've owned, and just over 50,000 from new, from a work colleague. It has failed on quite a lot of chassis rot, shocks and a couple of minor items.

I don't have the time and inclination to put a new chassis under it these days (done five now!). My original intention was to break it up and sell it in lumps ie engine and box, bulkhead, rolling chassis as everything is in really good condition apart from the chassis and turn a little profit on it; however after a thorough hammer inspection I can get the chassis through an mot for a couple of hundred pounds without any boding, and a few days work.

Ive looked on eBay to try and make up my mind and prices vary wildly, there's a load of rubbish old nineties converted to TDI that seem to have sold for £3000+, then lots of others that are seemingly unsold. Anyone any ideas on a realistic value for this one?

If it's as good as you say it is then I would re chassis it on a black painted galv chassis possible stick some freestyle alloys on it with some BFG All terrains give it a damn good polish and advertise it for £8k.

Will.

• Like 1

If it's as good as you say it is then I would re chassis it on a black painted galv chassis possible stick some freestyle alloys on it with some BFG All terrains give it a damn good polish and advertise it for £8k.

Will.

This ^^^

Reading your original post you've decided you're selling it one way or another.

I'd say it sounds to good to break, and if you think the chassis is salvageable, salvage it with some nice 2+mm plate!

In my experience just the look of a truck can mean the difference of a couple of k's and to be honest, in my mind the body work is one of the most expensive things to fix, so if that's good, then the rest is "negligible" effort and cost...

I bought a MOT less 02 Td5 with 80k on it and some nasty body work issues, worn clutch and duff brakes, for 3k, my gf's dad bought a 04 Td5 with 48k on the clock that looked mint inside and smart outside for 10k when I got to look under it, it was pretty rusty, the tin worm has got to the doors and bulkhead.

The moral to my story... depends on who's buying it and what they know about these vehicles, its also funny time to sell, as people haven't got a lot of "free" cash just now, but with the stopping of the defender the market is trying to put the prices up due to the rarity factor...

Defenders will always be very difficult to price, and untimely it depends on how harder life the truck has seen. My advice to you would be to check out vehicles of similar age/mileage/smartness, and come up with a price, you'll know if its to expensive as you wont get any interest, so you bring the price down until you start getting bites...

Or decide on what the truck owes you and sell it for that.

Clear as mud...

Definatly don't want to keep it myself, I already have two 300tdi 90's and a 300tdi 110 all on new Richards chassis, hence I haven't got the inclination to replace yet another chassis!

I think I can save it with a couple of outriggers and some neat patching. It already has freestyle alloys with a recent set of take off General Grabber tyres so hopefully should be able to turn it into a nice truck again. I'm amazed at the lack of rust anywhere apart from the chassis, plus being a truck cab it still has galvanised cappings.

I also didn't realise it has a genuine full width allisport intercooler so that will find a new home on my 110.

I'm guessing autumn would be a better time to sell it on plus gives me time to get it 100%.