Vibrations

Ryan

Ever since I fitted a pair of QT diff guards, I have been getting a deep-tone vibration on hard-ish acceleration. It appears to be coming from the back, and its like I was trying to accelerate in 3th when I should be in 1st (i'm not by the way :P ). The guard is not fouling on the rubber connector thingey, and I have not done anything else underneath apart from fitting a steering guard (though this was done the week before and I've only noticed the vibration since the QTs were fitted).

Is this just a coincidence?

yeah i know that problem with wet floors. unless they are catching the prop or the flange or something i cant see why they'd cause a vibration. could be worth getting someone to ride the clutch while you watch the props, if your bushes are gone (whos arent?) then i guess the axle might rotate enough for it to catch?

• 2 weeks later...
It's a harmonic damper, I doubt you would notice the difference with it not being there.

Les. :)

But it might have been sufficient to damp a little tyre unbalance.

Whichever way you look at it you're going to have to drop the prop, guard, swap wheels or something to try and isolate the problem

• 2 weeks later...

If they're wraparound guards, wedge a little bit of wood or similar between the guard and the casing - I have these on a Ninety and they rattled like hell on certain road surfaces. Of course, I chose to ignore it and it seems that after a few heavy bashes offroad I've adjusted their natural resonant frequency...

If they're wraparound guards, wedge a little bit of wood or similar between the guard and the casing - I have these on a Ninety and they rattled like hell on certain road surfaces. Of course, I chose to ignore it and it seems that after a few heavy bashes offroad I've adjusted their natural resonant frequency...

I don't think there is a problem there. The guards are well and truely glued to the diff case, theres no gaps at all. Its definitely not a rattle. I think I'll try and find a replacement harmonic damper (as I foolishly threw mine away) to bolt on and see if that solves the problem.

Don't bother with a harmonic damper it does nothing. I took mine off years ago when I fitted a QT diff guard and I have not noticed any change. If you can get one for free then give it a go but I wouldn't pay money for one.

HTH

Ivan

Anyone in the Southampton area have a harmonic damper kicking around that they don't want/need? Pretty please...

Ryan

you can't fit the damper without removing the guard anyway i'm in bitterne don't have a damper but willing to have a look see what we can find if you want

mike

Anyone in the Southampton area have a harmonic damper kicking around that they don't want/need? Pretty please...

Ryan

Ryan,

I might have one kicking about in the garage (and iam in southampton) i will take a look for you. But really dont think that its the cause of your problems. I took mine off before offroading took it off for me :D

My mates three door 200's dont have them and old range rovers that i have played with also didnt have them...

tho the new ranger rover sport does have them (two one each side above the tail pipes exits on the rear bumper) :unsure: