Anyone Want To Build A 4.6 from a 3.9??

need4speed

Without severe machining and weakening of the block a 4.6 crank will not go into a 3.9 block.

4.6 crank journals are thicker than 3.9 crank journals so the 3.9 block will have to be line bored larger so the larger diameter bearings can fit. Also some machining of the inside of the block will be needed to allow clearance for the 4.6 crank counterweights.

Better going for a 4.0 block that takes a 4.6 crank and is cross blolted as well.

Garry

Sorry but that's not the case at all.

No machining of the block is necessary at all. The only time you would need work done to the block is if you trying to make a 4.6 out of the 3.5 block. This is due to the 3.9, 4.0 and 4.6 all sharing the same bore.

All you need to do is turn down the journals of the 4.6 crank from 2.5" to 2.3" and it fits the block like a glove.

You are also wrong about the 4.6 crank weights fouling. Maybe this was a problem on very early 3.9 blocks but I doubt it. They are probably all the same.

The cross-bolted block is a nice to have but it's certainly not essential. Especially on a LR. It would be more of a priority on an engine constantly at high revs like a racer.

How do I know this? Through personal experience. That's exactly what I've done. I've built a 4.6 by starting off with a brand new 3.9 block that I got at a price I couldn't refuse. Fitted everything up using ARP studs to add a little strength..

Don't know how you have had the problems you mention in your post above??

Ok so you take the journals of the crank down instead of machining the block - I would rather do that than putting in a weakened 4.6 crank into a 4.6. And you accept by your own words than some machiining may be required to some blocks to clear the weights.

For sure it is possible with a 3.9 block but go for a 4.0 block and have a more reliable engine.

Machining the crank journals is not a problem. If it were a drag strip engine for sure you wouldn't want to do it but for normal road / off-road applications it's no trouble at all. And for folk that don't want to take my word for it, I got my advice from Ray at V8 Developments before I started my engine build. And Ray knows his oats...... ;)

Regarding the block I had a choice at the time - a used cross-bolted 4.0 or a spanking new 3.9 that was "red coded" which means it had the thickest cylinder walls that LR produced. Again, at the advice of Ray I used the new 3.9..

The main bearing journals are a lot thicker than the bulk of the crank shaft, so it's not being weakened. Reboring the mai bearing seats in the block would weaken that, though. My concern would be the journals on the crank being prone to wear having their case hardening machined away. The bearing shells should still be much softer and sacrificial, but the shaft journals may still wear faster than normal.

..My concern would be the journals on the crank being prone to wear having their case hardening machined away. The bearing shells should still be much softer and sacrificial, but the shaft journals may still wear faster than normal.

Yes that's a good point. That's why it's essential that quality bearings are used. I used Michigan77 as was advised..

The most important items in that job lot for a 4.6 are the conrods - maybe also the pistons if they are Hi Comp but low comp 4.0 (do 3.9 pistons have the same bowl volume?) in a 4.6 give a comp ratio just below Hi Comp 4.6 pistons.