Gearbox/Transfer Leak Advice

I was wondering if someone more experienced can give me some advice on a persistant leak on my gearbox/transfer box. :)

The vehicle is a 1985 110 with what I believe are the original boxes still fitted.

They were both leaking pretty badly, the gearbox from the output shaft and the transfer from the input shaft. I bit the bullet and got it booked in with a garage for them to fix it this time, which they did.....for about 5 miles and now its leaking again, although not as badly as before.

My question is.....is there any realistic way I can get these to stop leaking, or is it just a case of them being 30 years old and worn enough so that a seal wont properly seal any more?

I realise all land rovers leak and all that but I really don't like to accept that!

Im just trying to work out if my only real option is to get a rebuilt box or if the garage did something wrong.

They should be fine and dry if good quality seals were used and fitted correctly.

Its possible there could be some wear on the output flange itself, so the seal doesn't sit nice on it.

Possible they have caught the transfer box input seal with the gearbox shaft or just not fitted it well if it still leaks - it needs to go back to them.

It's a common misconception that "they all leak"... No they don't! When I rebuilt the transfer box on mine I renewed the seals with corteco ones but 2000miles later it started to drip, this was down to the slight pitting evident on the output flange. After replacing tithe flange and seal all was well.

If the gear and transfer boxes are original and are 30yrs old then it may be time for some TLC.

Thanks guys, at least it sounds like its possible to stop it leaking. I do trust the garage who carried out the work so I was suprised it leaked so soon. Ill get back in touch with them but I wouldnt be suprised if its the output flange not sealing as mentioned. Im willing to cut it some slack as its 30 years old and ill probably not be looking my best in 30 years time :)

Is it fairly simple to change the output flange with the boxes seperated?

You've jumped around a few places in this thread where the leak may be from. Might help to put up some pics of where it is leaking from.

There are six (?) common places for the transfer box

1. Front output seal

2. Rear output seal

3. Intermediate shaft o ring

4. Input seal

5. That bottom bolt at the front that goes into the transfer box cavity

6. The gasket/seal for the bottom plate

Gearbox tends to be the input or output seal. In my experience, these are less common than most of they go transfer box ones.

What does the oil look and smell like. Ep90 is golden and has a different smell to ATF (red) or mtf94 (thinner and yellows). The latter two could be in the gearbox, the ep90 in the transfer box.

Sounds like the garage haven't identified the leak and should try harder.

No doubt they should have tried harder and I'll go back to them and get them to have another go. It's both ep90 and ATF as I've got both yellow and red oils visible. The gearbox only seems to leak after it's been running for a while, I suppose it needs to get up to temperature, have checked the breather and it's not blocked.

The transfer is leaking from high up somewhere and the oil ends up on the bolts for the bottom plate and that leaks just sat on the drive.

Thanks for the list though, I'll have a good look tomorrow when it's light and see if I can go through all the ones you've mentioned and see if I can identify where it's coming from.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good look and im pretty sure it's the intermediate shaft on the transfer box as mentioned above. The gearbox is actually leaking from the drain plug so that could have been a lot worse. I think it's been over tightened at some point in its life and doesn't quite seal properly.

Ive not done any work on the gearbox so far so I quite fancy sorting it myself, I just haven't got round to doing it yet! :)

I've a slight leak of transfer box oil but cant see where its coming from looks up hight and since the new clutch a small drip black oil out my drain hole ...

But far worse problems now Friday driving along brake hard and tink tink tink .....drive brake hard tink tink tink brake soft nothing ...........brake hard and sounds like something ratterling about in the bell housing.........and when I brake hard is being shot forward or when I reverse up our very step drive .................New clutch etc less than 700 mile ago arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So if any seals are to be done if I do end up having it looked at/separated again that's the time