Which Toyota axles for a Series LR

Apologies folks - I have two post running which I know is annoying. The other is a post on upgrading Series axles to CVs, Discs, etc. I will keep both posts up to date.

However - a viable alternative are Toyota axles, I'm a huge fan of them an it would make life much easier.

I'm looking for an axle that gives me strength, CVs and ideally front discs. I'd ideally like one that is already leaf sprung (SUA) and one which I could simply change the spring mounts and rebuild.

I've seen lots of references to fitting Toyota axles and I've heard there are some that are almost a straight swap for LR items (similar steering arm locations, leaf sprung, passenger side diff drop and a similar width - don't want to go wide). I've scoured the internet and I've seen references to FJ-40 axles and vague references to J70s - which we don't get here. Hilux axles, etc.

Is there a particular model of Toyota from which an ideal axle can be found? I don't mind looking at imports or even importing a pair of axles if needs be. The dream is obviously massively strong ones with the potential for OEM electric-locking diffs, but late Land Cruiser items are a touch wide so I may be dreaming there.

I am aware that toyota axles command a premium, but am willing to invest in the right set.

If I can do this it would save me a lot of machining over converting the Series ones - plus they'd be stronger.

Many thanks indeed.

Can't say anything about the Toyota axles as I have no experience with them.

Nissan Patrol ones are a well know option and the fit very well, are strong, can come with disc brakes and difflockers

Axles from a Japanese import lj78 might be worth looking at. They aren't leaf sprung originally (radius arms front and rear) but they have disc brakes all round and are about the right width. I have a set which I am planning on fitting to a leaf sprung truck (non-landrover). If you are any where near Guildford you would be welcome to come and have a look and see if the type was going to be suitable, if not I could get you some photos and measurements over the weekend.

Steve

Toyota stuff was pretty much my bread n butter when I ran the shop....

Pretty much any of the toy stuff will swop in... there are some catches tho if your running a shorty then you will want an offset rear diff so cruiser stuff on a 109" your long enough the the drive line angle will work, that said I have seen a couple of shorty trailer trucks that worked well with the centered hilux rear axle

Next issue is the diff gearing toy stuff has nothing that matches the rover 4.7 ratio.... the hilux 8" diff will give you the closest options at 4.5 or 4.8 the cruiser stuff will run you at a higher speed with a 4.1 ratio

Probably the best and dearest option would be 80 series cruiser as they are offset and run the higher number ratios

Steering could be an issue as the toy stuff has a greater scrub radius which will require more effort to turn at low speed, I'd suggest upgrading to power steer at the same time but this gets a bit more intense if you want to stay onroad with it

I've added a disco box to my series... but I also added the coil suspension so didn't have to worry about clearance to the leaf springs

I have a mates SII in the shed that I'm helping build up (been hinting he needs to set up a build thread...) in his case we are using a 60 series cruiser box that came off a parts 109" running landy axles and leaves so that fits

40 series: Narrowest, leaf sprung, front disc brakes (post somewhere mid '70s I believe), drum rear brakes. Lots of aftermarket parts availability

60 series: Wider than 40 series, front discs, rear drums. Can be had with factory cable lockers, large 9.5" diffs, leaf sprung axles. Lots of aftermarket parts availability

70 series: LJ7* versions are 8" diffs, high-pinion front diff, coil sprung with radiusarms front and rear if I'm not mistaken.

80 series: Widest strongest toyota axle, biggest CV's, high pinion 8" front diff, larger 9,5" rear diff, factory electric lockers.

I think your best are 60 series axles. They were made for leaf sprung vehicles so adapting them to a Series LR is a piece of cake. The coil sprung axles are harder to adapt due to their track rod wanting to occupy the same space as the leaf springs (as with range rover axles).

I used 80series axles with Hellfire Fabworks high steer kit. Not cheap but very nice and mega strong.

I'd look how easy it is to get parts too. I've bought 80 series parts from milner, roughtrax and Toyota dealers before. I don't know how you'll fair on the older stuff.

Knowing the year of the donor car is essential but getting it's number plate and vin number would make your life so much easier if you can get it.

I'll second that. With the older vehicles it's very usefull to know at least the year of the donor vehicle. Toyota part#s can be looked up online so you can know for sure you got the correct part before ordering.
I'm amazed at how much is still available from the Toyota dealer, even engine parts for my 33year old 3B. Spendy but top quality.

Parts stocked or easily got is impressive, now here is a wee tip don't worry about rego number I have had the odd one where this has backfired (think the plate may have been re-reged to another vehicle, the other one is special version stuff often gets a normal reg code here so parts don't match rego) get the full model code including engine code (It'll be on the firewall normally) the reason I say this is the amount of parts guys who wont believe you when the rego number tells them it is different from what you say.... if you give the whole model code then they can't argue lol

The numberplate isn't 100% here either, I once spent 10 hours outside on a freezing Sunday so I could get to work on Monday trying to change a thermostat on my Fiat Bravo as the one the shop had sold me was for a car with A/C which mine didn't have. It was one of those days where you physically couldn't feel if the nut was in your fingers or not. Not happy :angry2:

If you can get it do though as it's what a lot of companies (like Euro car parts) will ask for and it's not doing any harm written on a bit of paper with the other info. I also keep a spreadsheet with all the part numbers on for stuff I've bought, but maybe that's going too far... :hysterical:

• 1 month later...