LT230 position, angles and driveline angles

Bear in mind there are atleast two different type of gearbox/t-box mounts they may mount in the same place on the chassis but I can guarantee the t-box is not in the same place as there are atleast three different front prop lengths all rover front axle and lt230 t-box.

Mike

I'm not convinced on that james, my mates 90 was 3.5 hp22 lt230, then 3.9 r380 lt230, now disco 200tdi disco lt77 and lt230, all were with the transfer box in the upto end of 200tdi location, props remain unchanged.

Had the transfer box been further forward (as per 300tdi) the sticks wouldn't have fitted through the tunnel surely? And there wasn't a fat lot of room in front of the water pump before the rad for the whole lot to go any closer to the front crossmember

Edit, now I think about it it's got the 4cyl tunnel and floor plates fitted, so does that tell us anything?

Not sure, all a bit of a mystery. My knowledge only extends to factory vehicles.

I think a 300Tdi front propshaft is about 635mm long. And a 2.5TD/200Tdi one is about 685mm. So the 300Tdi (and if I'm right the V8) transfer box must be about 50mm closer to the front axle.

Isn't that why the tunnel shape changed, with that strange side bulge out on the right - to give clearance for the front output housing of the transfer box?

This post from miketomcat seems to confirm my thoughts. The numbers are slightly different as I assume the measurements were taken in a different way but it seems to suggest that 300Tdi and Td5 vehicles used the same transfer box position relative to the axles as the earlier V8 did.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=87209&p=752861

I believe they sit slightly nose-up on the Tdci models?

Only problems I can think of at the moment would be possible oil starvation to the front output bearings and propshaft angles perhaps needing a slight tweak.

The oil gets whipped up into a mist when driving, so the bearings will be well lubricated.