LT230 position, angles and driveline angles

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the following. I'm locating the transmission in the chassis and my only reference is the mount for the LT230 as I'm using the Mercedes engine and box. Now, with the LT230 sat on the mount with a solid aluminium version of the bush (only for build so I've got solid references) it sits nose up slightly. Can anyone confirm how theirs sits in relation to the top of the middle chassis section if that's classed as 'level'?

Does the driveline on a defender normally point up towards the front?

Which part of the box (if any) is level left-right looking from the rear or front? I need to know what my 'horizontal' is for setting up how the bolt patterns on my adaptor will sit in relation to each other.

I should probably add that I'm working from the 200tdi position of the transfer box with 200tdi type rubbers and 200tdi type mounts on the chassis.

Thanks in advance all!

Yep, all Coilers I've seen has the engine pointing upwards, the only thing that would worry me here is angle on the front prop. Lubrication shouldn't be an issue seeing how high the oil level is in the Transfer box. But if it would suit your Merc engine better to change the angle either way, I wouldn't hesitate to do that, the transfer and mainbox will do just fine :)

From an engine point of view, the higher the engine the better as the sump bowl is over the top of the axle currently! However as the front axle is going to end up quite flexible I hope, I may have issues with the front transfer box UJ.

Thanks for the thoughts on the front-rear inclination.

Any thoughts on the side-side? I assume the top of the high/low selector housing is level side-side?

I'd agree with the thoughts regarding front/rear angle, that looks "by eye" to be about normal in my experience. I think that's why one propshaft is normally phased (front one IIRC) and the other isn't.

You are correct re the side to side orientation, the hi-lo selector should be level although I doubt it's all that critical.

• 3 weeks later...

i have a early...B reg 110 chassis and a later tdci chassis in the house at present. i'll measure the TB position on both and report back.

We are talking TB position not prop length. Props are diifernt due to diff nose length, TB etc.

No transfer box moves, if you have the standard r380 position this is approx 2" further forward than the LT77 position, thus if you put a salisbury axle on a R380 90 you can use an LT77 rear propshaft

Will..