differences between early td5 (10p) to later models

Hi all,

I am looking buying a 110, what are the differences between the new and old style td5 defender 110's that I need to look out for please

I know the dash face changes at some point (2002 I think approx) but why and what else please? is it easy to upgrade to the new style with geniun bits etc like the electrics behind it.

whats the pitfalls of old v new? any help would be much appreciated.

regards

Rich

Hi all,

I am looking buying a 110, what are the differences between the new and old style td5 defender 110's that I need to look out for please

I know the dash face changes at some point (2002 I think approx) but why and what else please? is it easy to upgrade to the new style with geniun bits etc like the electrics behind it.

whats the pitfalls of old v new? any help would be much appreciated.

regards

Rich

The face lift model has metal dowels in the head rather than plastic, different cam and ECU. Is called a 15 or 16p engine. The rest of the vehicle is the same, rusty!

The 15p engine fixed a lot of the recurring problems of the earlier engines including...

A slightly different cylinder head design with metal rather than plastic locating pegs

Different injectors

A different fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail return external to the cylinder head (early ones had the fuel return internally and it caused issues with cracking).

The ECU was changed to a reprogrammable version that seems to be more robust.

The emissions were lowered to meet Euro 3 standards (including new EGR design and control).

The throttle potentiometer was changed from two track to three track, presumably for safety.

A redesigned coolant system and fuel cooler to include EGR cooling.

In short, if you have the choice, choose one with a 15p engine...

My parents wanted to replace their 300tdi 90 with a newer model, I went for as new a td5 as I could get for them, a 56 plate, as I figured they should've ironed out pretty much all the snags by then. Being so late, as well as the better steel rear door, it also has "puma" front doors as well which are well worth having.