300Tdi no power and black smoke

mmgemini

I've put this on here because others might be able to answer.

In January this year I had a woman drive into me while I was stationary. Because of the age of my Defender I repaired it myself so it wouldn't be written off. Now everything is fine except for a great lack of power and black smoke.

Today the cam belt cover was taken off and all timing marks were still correctly in line.

Any suggestions as to where to look

New raised air intake fitte. So it's bene run without the RAI and without the air filter element and without the RAI. HHHmmmm

Neither the rad or the intercooler appeared to be damaged. The Hi-Lift across the front bumper took most of the impact. The RH wing the rest. In fact the bent front panel was straightened and left on.

I did wonder if the belt had jumped a tooth but that's checked out fine.

The leccy fan did touch the pulley where the viscous should be

when does it smoke? At idle? above a certain rev's or load?

Smoke means too little air or fuel:

1/. Not enough air getting in - blocked air filter, restricted air inlet, blocked intercooler, waste gate stuck open

2/. To much fuel going in - ingesting oil from leaky turbo?, fuel pump turned up to much, valve guides worn causing oil to drip on back of inlet valve when off, causes smoke on startup.

Etc....

Be systematic about what your symptoms are. Then write out a list of possible causes and possible root causes. Check them one by one. You will eventually get to the root cause. It may not be what you think - I did a root cause investigation on a turbo expander. The word was that it had failed it's thrust bearing on startup as usual. A lot of digging later found that it was destroying its thrust bearing on shut down due to being run with a much higher pressure drop than it was designed for. Symptoms only showed at start-up.

Keep an open mind and unless you can prove a potential root cause not relevant /OK, it is a potential cause.

Adrian

it sounds like a lack of boost Mike , so loose pipes from turbo to inlet , split intercooler , hoses delaminated blocking flow , wastegate open , blocked air filter etc . It could also be a seized pin under the diaphragm on the IP ?

Do the intake pipes expand when squeezed and then revved from under the bonnet ?

Maybe hook up a temp boost gauge ?

cheers

Steveb

I've had this on two occasions. The first was a delaminated air inlet hose to the turbo causing a "baloon" blockage in the flexible air inlet line whenever I tried to get power - tickover was fine but no revs and mega smoke when I tried to drive, and the other was when the intercooler outlet hose had come off, again allowing steady tickover but no power and massive smoke when I tried to get any power. Both were cases of too much fuel and not enough air.

Best of luck finding your smokey gremlin.

Mike