Door shape or bent ?

My passenger door doesn't match the profile of the body work, and as a result won't seal properly.

It's hard to photograph but here's an attempt:

post-10144-0-91652900-1453052942_thumb.jpeg

You can almost see that at the bottom it's just inside of the side panel, it a little out on the on the profiled section, but then kicks out quite a bit where the capping is.

My question is - is this bent or just been made this way ? There are no signs (to my uneducated eyes) of creases or bends on either the ski or the frame.

The problem is that it lets wind in on that centre section - Despite it likely looking odd, I tried to adjust the gap out - but I can't adjust the latch to pull it in because the bottom and top are stopping it.

Lol - well that's a fair point and one that leaves me feeling rather foolish :D

Thanks Barry !

Although really I guess I'm thinking if it was bent it may be bendable back ... Yet looking at it and it's construction makes me think it would be almost impossible to bend - but yet thinking : surely they can't make them with that much tolerance ?

Clearly the latching position needs to move 'inwards' about 1/2" or so to get the door flush with the bodywork. If the top and bottom are preventing this then they need easing out a bit (i.e. kind of flattening the door) to allow it.

I presume the door is positioned correctly vertically? As in, you can run a straight line along the barrel ridge from the bulkhead right back to the rear of the tub? Over time the doors drop and that can prevent them sitting flush as well as they sit too low on the barrel profile.

I think it's level James - I'll check. There is a lot of slop in the hinges - but from memory it seems square in all other ways.

So - if it is istraightenable then how do I go about it? Is it simply holding the top corner - bracing against the barrel section and pulling ?

Apologies for what must seem asinine questions - I'm just concerned about making it worse or investing time in a folly.

So one further set of daft questions:

Would it be safe to not remove the glass? I could wind it down to do the top - though the opposite may not be so easy, as the bottom of the glass will still likely be behind the profile where I will be bracing it ...?

I reckon it'll be fine with the glass in. But I'm not paying if you break it :P

It won't take much to bend the top of the door ... especially if you have any rust!

I'd just move the glass to the opposite place to which you are trying to bend and not worry too much.

Thank you one and all

If it wasn't for the air gab I would be bothered - but it's amazing how much cold and noise comes in through there.

The other factor is - the door is in good condition, so worth keeping.

I shall attempt to bend it when the snows gone and post up the results.

Stephen

I had a similar problem on my 1991 110 CSW, and my knee made a good bending tool! Also, I repositioned the latch striker plate to hold the door further into the frame. Because of the plastic spacers this seems to slip quite regularly and needs resetting every few weeks.

Mike