BBC tribute to the Defender.

Happyoldgit

Although it's been flagged in the video section here already I thought that given that this is the last week of production of the current Defender it would be fitting to mention this piece by the BBC on the subject. It's part of the Inside Out West Midlands programme now on iplayer and starts at 10 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06yrdh9/inside-out-west-midlands-25012016

Some nice early pics in there.

As usual though, they have completely confused Defenders and Series into one big bunch. The guy at the start of the piece says its a section about defenders and then waves a model of a Series around! Quintin should know better... although he gets it right and tries to make the distinction most of the time

As usual though, they have completely confused Defenders and Series into one big bunch. The guy at the start of the piece says its a section about defenders and then waves a model of a Series around! Quintin should know better... although he gets it right and tries to make the distinction most of the time

I agree, that irritated me when I watched it last night :angry:

But in fairness, they are referring to "the Land Rover" as a whole, and Defender was a name given only late in what was essentially a single model, periodically revised (sometimes heavily) in production since 1948. OK, technically the Defender name was applied in 1989 to distinguish it from the Discovery, but it is fundamentally the same as the 90 and 110, which are in turn really just evolutions of the Series vehicles, not outright new models. I think LR probably refer to the older vehicles as Defender too, when dealing with press and other non-technical parties.

Both Land Rovers had trade plates fitted. The tax dic holder was oblong not triangula.

The oblong one is a General plate, now discontinued, with that plate you could use the car for anything....Land Rover did including useing them on the delivery truck.

The triangular tax disc holder was for a restricted plate. You were restricted in how it was used. No passengers except for demonstration .No parking on the road. There were others that I can't remember

The tax price was minimal...

They restricted plate only covered tax and insurance. Nothing else.

I only worked with restricted I can't remember a general plate except for that time

• Like 1