Axle Options

After years of breaking pegged diffs, Ashcroft C/W's, shafts, C/V's and 2 ARB's (late ones) on my Supercharged 38.5" tyred V8 challenge motor the best thing by far I ever did is fit a pair of Patrol Y61 axles, complete confidence......

Saves me carrying a trailer full of spares and gives me the confidence to "nail it" where in the past I was always on tenderhooks at times....

No brainer for me......

Lewis,

It's purely the fact Dave @ Ash said his kit wouldn't cope. The warranty thing was a side question. But the fact he wouldn't honor it is another sign it wouldn't cope.

Another point is, LC80/Y61 axles, converted would probably be under less than 35% of a full Ashcroft set-up cost. Assuming LC80 axles are about the same price as what Y61's can be had for.

The most expensive aftermarket route are retrofitting the Dana 60's. I cant find anywhere to get these myself, so I have to go with someone else's supplier. Supplied and kitted out for LR fit is circa £3,000. Which is around 10-15% ore expensive than a full Ash set-up, but will more than cope with it. These would be 30/35-Spline (bias towards the 35) with at least rear locker, front if one can be found.

Obviously if I got lets say LC80's with a full 30/30/30 spine 300M front and back, it would probably still sit somewhere around the Ashcroft route.

Difficult to know what to do.

On the legality side, I'd be cutting it close to a Q plate if I go with different axles too. That's put a bit of a sting in the tail too.

Nobody talkes about the Ashcroft upgraded Discovery 2 axles. They are the best and strongest LR axles so far I know.

And.. it doesn't matter too much how many hp or Nm you have regarding axles. It mostly depends on the traction you have and shockloading which is taking place when having a rough ride. And offcourse tire size.

Highly tuned cars brake most of the times the higher gears from the gearbox. In he lower gears the torque limiting factor is... the grip of the tires. ;-)

And of course I am not saying that you dont need stronger axles! Just some monday evening thinking.. :-)

Hope I can get some information to help with a project I am working on.

I have a Carmichael 6x4 Range Rover and I want to convert it to 2 rear axle drive (currently front and mid axle drive).

The middle axle will need to drive the rear but they will need to cope with 600+hp and 2000+nm.

This will not be an off-road vehicle and have limited axle oscillation. The transmission will be an Allison bus auto. The whole drive train pre axles will be non Land Rover.

I suspect I will need to look at Unimog or light truck axles but maybe someone on here will have some experience of what I am proposing.

Paul

I have sourced a genuine 6x6 Land Rover rolling chassis fitted with Salisbury axles. It has only covered 27k miles.

I will need to increase the engine speed into the gearbox by between 2x and 3x with the commensurate reduction in torque going through the axles.

It is not going off roading so the only real stress on the axles will be when moving off with gusto!!!

Interested to know what power output you're expecting? 400bhp and the associated torque (I'm guessing around the 6-700nm ish) is what I'm working on for my setup.

Is it really that easy to get that much power from the Merc diesel? I'm surprised that you don't see more tuned up old taxis - with that much power they'd be pretty rapid!!!!

Is it really that easy to get that much power from the Merc diesel? I'm surprised that you don't see more tuned up old taxis - with that much power they'd be pretty rapid!!!!

Basically entails a rebuilt injection pump set to the known fuelling... then add boost until I've got little to no smoke! Enough boost will come in the form of (space allowing) twin turbos in a compound set up. That sort of power and torque is doable on a large single turbo, but it doesn't give much of a spread of torque. Compounding will give be a very nice spread of torque :D

Basically entails a rebuilt injection pump set to the known fuelling... then add boost until I've got little to no smoke! Enough boost will come in the form of (space allowing) twin turbos in a compound set up. That sort of power and torque is doable on a large single turbo, but it doesn't give much of a spread of torque. Compounding will give be a very nice spread of torque :D

I'm putting in my request for a passenger ride now then please, sounds like it's gonna be a load of fun! ;)

I'm putting in my request for a passenger ride now then please, sounds like it's gonna be a load ofcompound

Compound turbo set up's are for super hi boost, like 3bar / 45psi

The Merc OM606 kan easily pump out 500+ bhp on a single big turbo (Holset HX40). Would be a good thing for driveability to use the original turbo, which is good for 250horses, for the low rpm range and switching to compound for mid range en switching further to the big turbo only. That is the way most modern OEM twin turbo diesel setups are made. It is called sequential turbo setup. :-)

Hope I can get some information to help with a project I am working on.

I have a Carmichael 6x4 Range Rover and I want to convert it to 2 rear axle drive (currently front and mid axle drive).

The middle axle will need to drive the rear but they will need to cope with 600+hp and 2000+nm.

This will not be an off-road vehicle and have limited axle oscillation. The transmission will be an Allison bus auto. The whole drive train pre axles will be non Land Rover.

I suspect I will need to look at Unimog or light truck axles but maybe someone on here will have some experience of what I am proposing.

Paul

You need an New Process NP200: It can drive two drive shafts to the rear on the same speed. And a switchable drive shaft to the front. ;-)

It's an ancient transferbox but super strong. It was mounted in the WW2 Dodge WC62/63 and post war Dodge Power Wagons and M37.

Only issue is the leather(!!) seals: they burn at hi shaft speeds. Maybe they can changed for modern ones..

Lc80 diff and axles are really not strong. Just with the 230 hp and 35 put on them, they die and broke easily in Colombian rallies, at least in our mud conditions. In 2014 our team was 4 defender, 3 80's and one 73.... Only one of the 80's made up with it's transmission complete.. The other two broke a lot of things..... Go with the y61...