v8 - 3.5 to 3.9 conversion?

=jon=

Hi

As some of you know, I've got a 3.5 110 on megasquirt and LPG at the moment, and in my opinion it's a bit underpowered...

I also have a spare semi complete 3.5 - block, crank, valve set etc - I think it's everything bar the heads / inlet... (I should be able to reuse the thor setup from my existing 3.5) It's also fitted with an uprated timing chain and I think a few other bits and pieces, and I have a feeling there's a new set of valves as well.

Having a search around, you can convert the 3.5 to a 3.9 - it's a rebore/new liners and a new set of pistons from what I can tell:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB8150RBK

Has anyone gone down this route? Is it possible to go bigger again with the 3.5 block using reasonably standard parts?

Just wondering if it would be a worthwhile option for the spare engine - rather than spending a few hundred quid on a second hand 3.9 / 4.2 / 4.6 and then having to spend more freshening it up...

If you stay with the 3.5 heads, you will have smaller valves, poorer camshaft (assuming not uprated) which will all strangle a 3.9.

I understand the desire to bore and line a 3.5 out to 3.9, and could give you a good result, but the cost is likely prohibitive, circa £1K I would think, if you went top-hat (be stupid not to). By which time you are probably better getting a cheap 4.6 from a low mileage/well maintained P38 and bolting that in, even more so given you are running MS already.

Power problem would definitely be solved then :)

I tried registering on the devon4x4 forum but I don't get the verification email so can't reply to his post - if someone that has an account can PM the chap my email address to get in contact with me that'd be awesome, drop me a PM and I'll let you know my address....

but where to find such a crusty one that doesn't end up on the scrap heap cause the crust is a bit thicker than we thought.....

not so easy

I would also be interested in a bigger V8 if I could be reasonably sure that it was running nicely.

what sort of prices are they going for?

We paid £720 for a 4.6 HSE P38 which was running, MOT'd and driving nicely, not crusty at all in fact, but could have got once much cheaper from what I've seen.

Generally the D2's rust away so that doesn't really affect the engine, P38's get body electricals & air suspension faults that terrify people into cutting their losses and running, again nothing that affects the engine.