1988 90 HELP NEEDED

First of I'm new to everything 4x4 I bought a navara d40 I know bad choice but I'm going to pick up a 1988 defender 90 it has a 300tdi engine I'm unsure what I need to know but here's a quick write up of what I do know

new rear cross member

teraferrma shocks/ may have spelt this wrong

It's on a farm has good road tyres not a scratch or dint on the out side interior well it's a lady

engine looks clean tidy

my main concern is I don't know what to look for or just looking for good advice

When I seen the engine I wasn't sure but it looks clean I did ask him he said it was the original I'm now a bit suspicious and that's a great write up for things to look at thank you for the help very much appreciated

It's a e reg 88 but the outside paint is very clean it looks very clean underneath and the engine is tidy I just concerned its one of them too good to be true type of things worst comes to it what engine can I fit in it an is it a costly thing the chassis I'm not too bothered as thinking of galvanised chassis is the way to go

Retro fitting a 300Tdi into an aging TD or N/A is very common, pretty much all genuine parts can be used in the conversion, just a case of seeing if it's still got the LT77 or R380 gearbox.

If done properly it's a good vehicle and only 6yrs ahead of first 300Tdi Defender.

I'm swapping my bad decision navara for it so I'm excited but trying to be calm I have no idea about the gear box but I know it is five speed

LT77 5 speed has reverse gear next to 1st gear

R380 5 speed has reverse directly below 5th gear

Sounds to me its like mine a 1988 2.5TD 90 that was converted to in my case a defender 200TDI engiine by the last owner or in your case it could either be converted to a discovery 200TDI same engine as the defender 200TDI engine but dressed slightly different or it may well have been converted to the later 300TDI engine from a defender or discovery as the 300TDI is dressed the same in a defender and discovery.

hope this helps :D

Don't be overly concerned with the engine - its a good replacement and even if its done badly isn't going to cost much to deal with.

Look for RUST.

Don't be blinded by gadgets, fancy wheels or accessories - get the carpets up, crawl underneath, and look for scabby rust, nasty welded patches, thick underseal hiding bodged repairs. Especially in the footwells, under the windscreen, chassis outriggers, rear crossmember, door bottoms, battery box.

It's had a new rear cross member and it has steel wheels normal road tyres pritty standard I'm taking a a screw driver and hammer and a torch my friend is a mechanic and has offered to come with me so think it should be ok I would put pics on but I'm not very good with technology lol

thanks again

If there is anybody local to me who doesn't mind taking a look at my new landy and give me some advice don't mind a drive out to meet up just looking for some pointers I took it to a garage today and was quoted 4300 to change my chassis I think this may be too much also told me that all my shocks and springs will need replacing but they seem fine have no visible damage rust leaks etc I just don't want to be charged for work it doesn't need if any one is local to keighley bradford area get in touch via pm thanks for the help so far guys