Blown a seal??

Tonyy

Any ideas what this may be?

Driving along yesterday, took my foot off the accelerator and scarily I just kept accelerating.......hit the clutch and she started revving her tits off.....turned the key off no effect......swerved to the side of the road and stalled it, luckily it stopped. Lots of white smoke. :(

Vehicle (02 Defender Td5) is now at the workshop but they are busy and haven't had time to take a look yet.

My first thought is a blown turbo seal?

White smoke is excessive fuel isn't it?

Black is burning oil.

An engine running on it's own sump oil pumps out loads of black smoke, before the engine terminates itself.

If the engine kept going even after you had turned the ignition off I can't see that it would be fuel though as the solenoid would shut the supply off still.

White smoke could be steam, as in blown head gasket, but the engine wouldn't run on water.

Maybe wait until the engine has cooled down and then try to restart it. If it runs out of control again, then stall it straight away. If the white smoke is fuel, you will easily smell it.

Les. :)

Turbo would be the starting point for looking for bad news.. :(
Oi! :huh:

Black smoke is excess fuel, hence the problems when you wind up the injector pump.

It sounds to me like turbo seals, but it could equally be a (very bad) valve stem seal or even piston rings. Well done for stalling it when you did, hopefully there won't be too much damage.

a penguin is driving through the desert when steam starts bealching out from under the bonnet of his car... luckily he is about to drive through a small town, so he pulls over to a roadside garage to ask the mechanics if they can take a look at it...

as its a hot day, and what with being a penguin in the desert, he decides to pop next door to the ice cream shop and buy himself a large ice cream, as he cant realy hold the ice cream in his little penguin flippers he makes a right mess....

a little later he pops back into the garage to ask how things are going...

..."looks like you've blown a seal mate" came the reply...

..."no, said the penguin, its ice cream"

....i'll get my coat. :ph34r:

Any ideas what this may be?

Driving along yesterday, took my foot off the accelerator and scarily I just kept accelerating.......hit the clutch and she started revving her tits off.....turned the key off no effect......swerved to the side of the road and stalled it, luckily it stopped. Lots of white smoke. :(

Vehicle (02 Defender Td5) is now at the workshop but they are busy and haven't had time to take a look yet.

My first thought is a blown turbo seal?

Hokay. Only thing that could be found wrong was one of the injectors was stuck open, and there was about 3L of diesel in the sump. :blink:

Looks as though the stuck injector was dumping loads of fuel into that cylinder and it was running down the bore into the sump. Eventually it decided to have a party on all that fuel. Running as sweetly as ever now. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, the problem (sump filling up with diesel) re-surfaced. Turns out there is a hairline crack in the head. :angry:

Apparently quite common. :angry::angry:

Heads over here in Oz are very expensive, $4500. Anyone know a good cheap source in the UK?