Side Locker Advice/Help needed

So another thing I need to sort for the rebuild. My Landy was originally a 110 Van for Western Power done by LR special vehicles as part of a fleet. As part of this it had the following side locker which I now use as my gas bottle storage. As you can see it is rotten to hell. So I need to replace this but not sure how or what with. Ideally I wouldn't want a roller shutter type due to the curve on the body but I may have to. If I could get some kind of square box type I would be happy even though it wouldn't sit flush and would stick out above the body curve. It needs to fit a 6kg propane bottle. Either way I have no idea where to get roller shutters or custom side lockers....thought I'd ask here before spending hours and hourse of googling.

post-30453-0-14122800-1460829239_thumb.jpg

post-30453-0-61459600-1460829243_thumb.jpg

A 6kg propane bottle is 495mm high.....maybe switching to a standard Terrafirma side locker would work but then I end up with a gaping whole.......beginning to think finding a roller shutter firm and replacing like for like may be the easiest way forward. Most side lockers I've seen in last half hour aren't 495mm high.....

Apparently there used to be a military spec accessories catalogue which include lockers ..... anyone know of this?

Think you could make those shutters easily yourself.

By the look of it they are nothing special really - any work van fitter may have some left overs, otherwise domestic shutter fitting places will have some. Roll them up, cut them to length and off you go.

Like the look of them - never seen them like that before.

I have military ones on the 110 HT.

Me? I'd make a robust sticky-out bit at top that would double as a step for accessing the roofrack, with supporting sides that were firmly rivteted/bolted to the inside of the existing space. That would make the hole a rectangle with no curvy top and onto that I'd fasten a decent alloy door with a substantial locking mechanism (internal if possible).

Me? I'd make a robust sticky-out bit at top that would double as a step for accessing the roofrack, with supporting sides that were firmly rivteted/bolted to the inside of the existing space. That would make the hole a rectangle with no curvy top and onto that I'd fasten a decent alloy door with a substantial locking mechanism (internal if possible).

I really like that idea. I can get a rectangular steel box made up quite easily at a local fabricators who I am sure would be able to come up with a securing bracket. Not quite sure how I'd connect the body edges to the box to make them "connect" nicely, but maybe right angled alluminium riveted to the side of the box and to the body panel not too disimilar to the way the current roller shutter was merged to the body.

Think you could make those shutters easily yourself.

By the look of it they are nothing special really - any work van fitter may have some left overs, otherwise domestic shutter fitting places will have some. Roll them up, cut them to length and off you go.

Like the look of them - never seen them like that before.

I have military ones on the 110 HT.

I guess they're not that complex - It just seem the runners which the shutters slide in were maybe custom to the body shape, but thinking about it I guess a lot of commercial vans have shutters fitted so there must be places that do this sort of thing.

I would use the modern Jerry can lockers and have a piece of aluminium tig welded or bonded into the hole left above - panel bond is almost as strong as welding and wouldn't cause heat distortion, so a body shop could do it quite cheaply if you're happy having double later strips inside to lap the joints. The most expensive part would be having them paint it.

As for the size of that new locker, you could cut a hole in its base and add a lower floor, allowing the top of the bottle to be below the wheel arch instead of sticking up inside the vehicle.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SELECTION-OF-VARIOUS-SIDE-CABINET-ROLLER-SHUTTERS-/231765404927?hash=item35f64b6cff:g:j1YAAOSwp5JWVvCV

locker doors or tambour? doors. Foley SV do wolf expedition lockers, not sure they'd be high enough. Mine have just about rotted out after 10 years (powder coat was carp)

edit: search tambour door kits