Disco at a Cross Roads

Simon_CSK

I have had my Disco 2 now for nearly 4 years and the head appears to have gone. It has been in the garage for 4 month having work done (he is very slow and I didn't push) and got it back this afternoon. On the drive home I lost the bleed valve in the top hose and all the water.

The good point are the car has a galvie chassis and everything on the chassis was replaced three years ago and I feel there is tons of life left in it.

The bad points are it is Due an MOT, the head has gone, the offside rear wing is torn but functioning, generally looks tired but generally goes fine apart from the aforementioned head. Oh it has 182k on the clock.

Do I spend a couple of k on it and run it for another 4 years or cut and run. It doesn't really owe me a thing as it has been worked hard.

Thought please.

If you have a long term use for the car I would have it apart and have an AMC head fitted by someone who knows their stuff.Maybe a timing and oil pump chain would be sensible. The galvanised chassis is a long term thing,so its unlikely that it will get scrapped even if you pass it on.I see the DII as the last version worthy of long term plans and care,yours has had all the hard bits done. It really is a question of how much you need/value the use of a proper 4wd that has 3.5 tonne towing capacity and is capable of long journeys in comfort.If it were a Defender with its stupid resale value,it wouldn't even be worth asking the original question...

If all it needs it a replacement head im not sure what youre throwing a couple of k at!

I would generally tidy the car up. My boys don't like it because it smells of dog lol but it is well used and it goes fine. I am not sure on a 182k engine if it worth the expense of just fit a secondhand engine with lower mileage.

If you have a long term use for the car I would have it apart and have an AMC head fitted by someone who knows their stuff.Maybe a timing and oil pump chain would be sensible. The galvanised chassis is a long term thing,so its unlikely that it will get scrapped even if you pass it on.I see the DII as the last version worthy of long term plans and care,yours has had all the hard bits done. It really is a question of how much you need/value the use of a proper 4wd that has 3.5 tonne towing capacity and is capable of long journeys in comfort.If it were a Defender with its stupid resale value,it wouldn't even be worth asking the original question...

Yes the galvanised chassis was long term and the car cost me £3500 with a further £7000 on the chassis etc but I have had it for 4 years and done 40k so have lost 1.25k per year which is not bad. Then if I spend another 2k I may get another 80k miles out of it. I must admit that driving my Range Rover over the last four months has been very nice if not a little costly because of the 4.6 V8.

In the question of the need/value that is arbitary. I don't need a Land Rover or a Range Rover as I work from home and only see my boys twice a week and my girlfriend a few time a year usually in another country. I want Land Rovers and Range Rovers because I love driving them. I do about 20 to 30k a year over the two cars so I cover a lot of ground which I prefer to do in a big 4x4 with leather seats and air con. The reason for having 2 is for when one breaks down.

OK, if the bottom end of the engine is still fine,an AMC head is going to be a worthwhile upgrade,the thicker material around the unit injectors is not going to crack. A secondhand engine is going to be at least 10 years old, so what are you really going to know about it or its expected future lifespan.

Just this morning we condemned a D2 TD5 with a serious knock in the engine,the owner was not willing to wait or pay for an engine rebuild. Parked next to it is a 110 waiting for a full exchange engine,turbo,flywheel and clutch - a large sum of money. The owner wants to keep the car and is willing to wait.

It sounds to me like your car is like the 110,worth waiting for to be fixed properly and enjoyed - for a long time.

OK, if the bottom end of the engine is still fine,an AMC head is going to be a worthwhile upgrade,the thicker material around the unit injectors is not going to crack. A secondhand engine is going to be at least 10 years old, so what are you really going to know about it or its expected future lifespan.

Just this morning we condemned a D2 TD5 with a serious knock in the engine,the owner was not willing to wait or pay for an engine rebuild. Parked next to it is a 110 waiting for a full exchange engine,turbo,flywheel and clutch - a large sum of money. The owner wants to keep the car and is willing to wait.

It sounds to me like your car is like the 110,worth waiting for to be fixed properly and enjoyed - for a long time.

Get what you are saying and to some extent my Disco is like an old coat. Slightly torn and worn but very comfortable and cozy. Part of my dilemma is that I want an L322 but this is to add to my collection not as a replacement for the Disco. I like my Disco because it is the old coat that I can fling the dogs into or pull a trailer without problem. It is well set up too with front and rear receiver hitches and wired for an electric winch which I have located in the boot under my custom dog cages. With a good clean inside, a new rear wing, tidy up the front bumper and the rear quarters and finally a good wash then it would be a fine looking vehicle that would not show its mileage.

I have a friend with a Defender that has done 1,000,000 miles and that to me is amazing and wonder what it would be like if my Disco went that far. My problem is does it come down to £sss or have I finally become emotionally attached to an old Landie :hysterical:

If it were me, there would be no question, i'd put the head on and get the MOT passed. Then further down the line think about tidying it up or moving it on.

You'll get very little for it as a non runner, whereas, despite the mileage, it would make good money with the galv chassis if you were to sell it in good working order, particularly if you tidied it up for sale.

It depends what you want,expect and are prepared to pay for. In my experience,(Which is driving all the different models to their limits during test drives to expose faults) the only worthwhile L322 is the 4.4TDV8.It really is an enjoyable drive, even the new L405 didn't feel special to me.

The 3.9 Vogue SE was the last car I REALLY enjoyed owning and driving. Now an auto Freelander 2 is about as much as I could be bothered with. My own DII ES TD5 is different enough from my Skoda pickup that I wouldn't bother spending any more. An L322 is simply not made for million mile/long term ownership like the DII or Defender can be.

I'd keep the DII, but then I also spend plenty of money on old British bikes too...

It depends what you want,expect and are prepared to pay for. In my experience,(Which is driving all the different models to their limits during test drives to expose faults) the only worthwhile L322 is the 4.4TDV8.It really is an enjoyable drive, even the new L405 didn't feel special to me.

The 3.9 Vogue SE was the last car I REALLY enjoyed owning and driving. Now an auto Freelander 2 is about as much as I could be bothered with. My own DII ES TD5 is different enough from my Skoda pickup that I wouldn't bother spending any more. An L322 is simply not made for million mile/long term ownership like the DII or Defender can be.

I'd keep the DII, but then I also spend plenty of money on old British bikes too...

Yes I do want a proper Ranve Rover so it is most likely to be a V8 L322. My last new car was a Freelander 2 and must admit that I preferred it to the Disco 3. My idea for my motoring eminated from the £6k I lost per year on the FL2. I figure that If I can own and run my cars for less than my £6k loss then I am in profit.

If it were mine, I'd stick a new or second hand head on it, strip it down to bare bones, put it on a trailer and and take it out and have some competition fun with it

If I knew where I could go reasonably locally I may just do that. :i-m_so_happy:

In exactly the same boat Simon. I got my DII as a comfy hack while I restore my 2 door and had to do the head gasket. I put the thermostat back the wrong way round and did a lot of miles (and towing) before I realised. So there's pressure in the top hose now and I've been humming and hawing over what to do. Mines well set up too, a little out of the ordinary.

In the meantime I'm almost finished a fast but gruelling resto on a Vogue SE that will be my daily until October and that wasn't even part of the original plan. As soon as that's on the road the 2 door resto will begin and I'm three land rovers deep for no practical reason. I'll be watching what you do. For inspiration like :)

Ally what's an AMC head and is it not a couple of k?

The AMC head is a an aftermarket Spanish made unit. The width of material around the top of where the unit injectors go is almost twice as thick as the original. Its a very good upgrade,as they do not crack like many LR ones did. I would also think that they would support the injectors better,so the O rings and seals will last longer. I had a conversation yesterday with another local garage who was doing a seal and O ring job for the first time. I mentioned that the head often shows signs of fretting where the injectors sit,which can't help.

They are easily available,have a look at Turner Engineering's website for their spec.

In exactly the same boat Simon. I got my DII as a comfy hack while I restore my 2 door and had to do the head gasket. I put the thermostat back the wrong way round and did a lot of miles (and towing) before I realised. So there's pressure in the top hose now and I've been humming and hawing over what to do. Mines well set up too, a little out of the ordinary.

In the meantime I'm almost finished a fast but gruelling resto on a Vogue SE that will be my daily until October and that wasn't even part of the original plan. As soon as that's on the road the 2 door resto will begin and I'm three land rovers deep for no practical reason. I'll be watching what you do. For inspiration like :)

Ally what's an AMC head and is it not a couple of k?

I know what you mean. I have a CSK to restore but need a body shell which means a foray into Europe as it is a 2 door post 1990 shell which is not available from a UK donor car. So like you I am three cars deep plus two boats and a car transporter trailer.

Spoke to the garage yesterday and they said why not just put in a second hand engine which will have less than the 182k that is on mine but take the point about history etc. All that and I want an L322 as well :hysterical:

I would either put a head on it or sell it. I don't think 182k is especially high mileage, and owning a D2 I put on a galv chassis and did the head and rebuilt the front of the gearbox and all the other bits that go wrong and now it needs a steering box I just keep plodding along enjoying it until I can find something better but I don't think such a thing exists unless I have a far higher income.

If you want to sell it let me know :)

Will.

Same here Will, its a tough car to beat replace for the money.

Simon did you see that '92 shell that was listed on Car and Classic? It was exactly what you're looking for, fully restored and primed ready to go, and the tag was stg10k. The ad is gone now so presumably it went for that or thereabouts. It was listed on an exchange basis so perhaps you can track them down to see if there's a possibility there. I took a couple of screen grabs of the ghost of the ad...

(you haven't beaten me on the to do list btw, but that's a whole other lot of cars)

post-1811-0-30305800-1464950191_thumb.png

post-1811-0-26565300-1464950201_thumb.png

Same here Will, its a tough car to beat replace for the money.

Simon did you see that '92 shell that was listed on Car and Classic? It was exactly what you're looking for, fully restored and primed ready to go, and the tag was stg10k. The ad is gone now so presumably it went for that or thereabouts. It was listed on an exchange basis so perhaps you can track them down to see if there's a possibility there. I took a couple of screen grabs of the ghost of the ad...

(you haven't beaten me on the to do list btw, but that's a whole other lot of cars)

George

Thanks for the pointer however there is a very small window for the shell that I need. After 88 they went to welded shells and after 1990/1991 they went to a high filler. As it is going on to my CSK the best year is 1989 the approximate year of manufacture.

post-1774-0-25755400-1465494539_thumb.jpgpost-1774-0-80348000-1465494592_thumb.jpg

I thought these two pics may be of interest, the first is of a failed engine where fuel diluted the oil and also the oil pump chain snapped.It was a wreck... The second pic shows the same area of an AMC head, the material around where the injector sits is almost twice as thick. What LR should have done,but didn't.