Considering buying a 110 with a Nissan FD35T conversion

task

I'm considering making an offer to a family friend on an A reg 110, I've been to have a look and it's in bit of a state but nothing that can't be fixed with a new cross member, some footwells and door bottoms.

It started life as a 3.5 V8 but currently has a Nissan FD35T that the current owner paid a garage to fit, along with a LT77. The engine is allegedly low mileage and has been running in the 110 but was parked up very shortly after.

Does anyone have experience of this conversion?

How would it compare to a 3.9 or 4.6 on EFI?

What's the going rate for a 110 that needs welding and recomissioning work along with a paint?

Few photos below, it's been stood for a good few years...

20160611_165752.jpg

20160611_153304.jpg

IMG-20160611-WA0004.jpeg

It'd an early station wagon which means pick a figure and someone will pay it. However I bought a slightly older station wagon cosmetically better but with a knackered 200tdi and a chassis that needed quite a few plates for £1750 last year. The point is I could sell it now as a running truck for over £3k. I would give under £1k for that personally.

Mike

I have had an FD 35T engine in a 90 and it is an absolute stonking engine, pulled like a train and seemed to be everlasting. The problem I had in the late 1990's was getting spares which was exceedingly difficult and very expensive and do not suppose it has got any better. The intercooler fitted in the picture is not big enough! I had a TDI one converted and it strangled it. When an Allard version was fitted it was transformed.<br /><br />Toby

I think your offer is fair. 1k delivered tops, it's just a hardtop with Windows not a station wagon isn't it?

Yeah, it's just a hardtop with windows.

Started life as a soft top though.

this came up on facebook the other day. assuming that was you? :) but the prices commented were concistant and about right. £500-£750.

That was me, yes, I thought I'd try the same question here :)

The prices did seem consistent and in line with my thinking too. I'll give the guy a call next week and see what he says...

I worked for a firm that fitted the FD series engines into Land Rovers in the late 80s.

Fantastic engine, pulls like a train, however it's extremely heavy and you'll feel that in the handling.

We had to fit heavy duty front springs and bump stop spacers to limit upward axle travel, this affects off road ability.

Many of the parts for fitting the engine, hoses, brackets etc were specially (poorly) made and are now probably unobtainable.

Engine parts themselves were very expensive,

IIRC the engines were originally industrial units that were converted for automotive application.

I remember them always being difficult to prime and start for no apparent reason after fuel filter changes.

The importers and fitting kit providers at the time were SMC of Bristol and are probably long since gone.

I'd say the engine adds no value to the pictured vehicle, which is probably worth scrap value, a few hundred £ at most.

Anything is salvageable, but at what cost?

I see a money pit.