Td5 type 36 spline steering wheel

Hello

I'm looking for a td5 36 spline steering wheel for my defender but can't find one anywhere.

In looking for a standard wheel that will fit straight on, not an aftermarket wheel that requires a boss etc.

Any ideas on where I can find one?

Thanks

• Like 1

gallery_102191_1531_1130.jpg

i bought one for the same reason (td5 36 spline ). they are as rare as rocking horse poo. i bought an Italian leather steering wheel wrap. the kind you stitch on. the wheel looks brand new and feels great. 36 splines were up to 200 Tdi and then they went to 48. for some reason the TD5 went to 36 again. when i fitted mine the back of the steering wheel rubbed on the steering column cowling. so i trimmed the cowling back a bit. now its fine.

Hi anderzander, would you be able to send me a photo? I'd be interested depending on how scruffy and if it's 36 spline, not 48

Thanks

Jamie

I will - it's been stored at the back of the garage for a while. It's definitely 36 spline - it came out of a 2001 Td5 CSW, which had the 36 spline column.

Defender 110 XS station wagon leather covered genuine one in my 110, the lip on column surround has to be shaved off fully & don't forget to swap the cancel ring for indicators over. mine came via ebay, also have a look at http://www.web-rover.co.uk/nav.php?p=articles/steeringwheels

the flat centre pad is ex range rover classic it just pushes/clips into place.

post-20-0-19802100-1468346967_thumb.jpg

On 12/07/2016 at 5:38 PM, stephencdavies said:

gallery_102191_1531_1130.jpg

i bought one for the same reason (td5 36 spline ). they are as rare as rocking horse poo. i bought an Italian leather steering wheel wrap. the kind you stitch on. the wheel looks brand new and feels great. 36 splines were up to 200 Tdi and then they went to 48. for some reason the TD5 went to 36 again. when i fitted mine the back of the steering wheel rubbed on the steering column cowling. so i trimmed the cowling back a bit. now its fine.

Oddly enough Series111 Land Rovers had 48 spline steering wheels, thus a 300 tdi wheel will fit a series and vice versa

Here it is....

The rim is quite worn, though in a bid to capture that on a photograph I think it's made it look worse than it is ? But the centre is pretty much spot on.

You might be surprised at how well that would restore with a trim treatment, Autosmart finish and a few hours effort.

I must admit, being a Land Rover owner ( or does it own me ) i get a good laugh every time i work on it. i can just imagine the LR parts bin. a real mixture of bits, that just fit, it'll do, i imagine the workers at Solihull looking through bins of bits saying , yeh! this might do, chuck it on.

You might be surprised at how well that would restore with a trim treatment, Autosmart finish and a few hours effort.

Jamie's friend sorted him out with one - so I might try cleaning this one up then and pop it on eBay. Any trim treatments you'd recommend?

Hi, Autosmart finish, tyre and trim or trim wizard works very well, I got 5L of it many years ago and I've still got loads left - I'm not into cleaning and polishing cars but this stuff tidies plastics and pretend leather up nicely (my steering wheel is an original leather trimmed one and I use it on that as well )

For the tiny amount you need for a steering wheel I might be tempted to just get a squirty pump thing from halfords

problem with those steering wheels is the top goes completely porous, like a scuffed sponge, great for absorbing sweaty hand grease ,land rovers attempt at giving its drivers cleaner hands :hysterical::ph34r: , but nothing can polish the porous out, better to just cover it up.

problem with those steering wheels is the top goes completely porous, like a scuffed sponge, great for absorbing sweaty hand grease ,land rovers attempt at giving its drivers cleaner hands :hysterical::ph34r: , but nothing can polish the porous out, better to just cover it up.

Mine looked a lot worse than the one in the picture including mould and other nasties, but it looks a lot better now so I know what I'd try first. The products I've suggested are not polish.

At the end of the day he wants to sell it not concourse it..

Anyway its an old steering wheel so not to worry whatever he does. :-)

• 1 year later...