Land Rover Discovery 200tdi smoke

Tim8

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some help.

I recently bought a old Land Rover Discovery 200tdi and I am fixing it.

I'm running into the following problem though. Stationary the car smokes a bit but when i hit the gas to 3000RPM it smokes a lot. see link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA8d75H1VfQ

My problem right now is that I don't know where to start. What do you think that the problem is and where should I start?

I've done the following, cleaned air inlet, new air filter to turbo hose, new exhaust manifold, new engine oil.

Kind regards,

Tim

• Like 2

Nice paint job.

Having owned a few 200tdi now they do tend to smoke a bit like that if they've had a hard life.

Things you could look at.

- boost control, has someone played with the fuelling in the past, this can cause smoking at hi revs.

- timing, obtain a set of timing pins and make sure the injection pump is correctly timed (had to do this recently on a truck)

- Could be a tired turbo charger letting oil into the cylinders, but I'd expect smoking running through out the rev range.

- air filter, when was that last changed?

- Crank case breather clear/clean?

- Try running some engine cleaner through it?

mine smokes more than that at start up then clears as it runs a while. It doesnt smoke at high revs when its warmed up though

It went through the MOT last year and was fine maybe your local garage will do an emissions test on it for you,(mine does it for about a tenner) give you a better idea of whats going on

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fine

Run some injector cleaner through - remember the injectors are a service item and don't last that long

Change the oil

Clean the oil separator

Clean the intercooler

Change the fuel filter and air filter

Lose the sedimenter

Check the turbo

I would disagree with my learned colleague Mr Western though - diesels need a bit of a rev every now and then. A good motorway run at 3k every now and then is worth while - although this will take you over the legal limit in 5th