300tdi Broke Down Whilst Driving .

Just trying to think a bit laterally, could the pulley be loose on the pump? Easily seen by peering through the little hatch in the timing cover, maybe with a mirror, it should be rotating as one when cranked. You said the rockers work, so the cambelt  must be doing something.

4 hours ago, dogdog1 said:

Interesting that you should say that , the lift pump has a slight leak . Could this be significant ? I've also occasionally heard a  " chickachickachicka " sound out of it lately when under load , but since it started and ran so well I didn't attach too much importance to it . I'll replace the lift pump tomorrow , just to eliminate that .

Replace the lift pump and report back. If they fail because of a weak diaphragm, the FIP still seems able to pull fuel through fine. If they leak, not enough fuel can get through and more importantly air can get in. 

I fitted an electric lift pump to mine. It's on a switch. I frequently fail to switch it on and it makes no difference to running at all. Back when I had a mechanical lift pump, the only time I noticed failures was when it was leaking and the effect was like fuel starvation (I guess that's what it was really). 

The VE pump will pull the fuel without a lift pump as long as the VE pump and fuel lines are primed, but get air in the system and the VE pump will cavitate, causing not only fuel starvation but pump damage too.  A lift pump, whether engine driven or electrical, is essential.

A standard lift pump works a lot like one side of a heart - it has an oscillating diaphragm which changes the volume of the chamber, with non-return valves on the entrance and exit to make sure that the fuel is sucked in from the tank side and forced out to the engine side.  A failure of the diaphragm will cause air to be sucked in and diesel lost, but failure of the non return valves causes all directional flow to be lost with fuel being sucked away from the engine and pushed towards the tank.  It fights the suction of the injection pump, so is worse than having a plain tube.

19 hours ago, reb78 said:

Replace the lift pump and report back. If they fail because of a weak diaphragm, the FIP still seems able to pull fuel through fine. If they leak, not enough fuel can get through and more importantly air can get in. 

Removed lift pump , seemed to work very well off the car ! Will be tomorrow before I get the chance to put on the new one .

On 22/10/2016 at 0:09 PM, dogdog1 said:

I have live at the shutoff solenoid and it clicks if I flick the detached connector against it with the ignition on , but no click is heard if I just turn on the ignition . I have removed the spring and plunger but it makes no difference .

Hi - have you determined that the solenoid definitely opens when cranking? I don't know myself if removing the spring and plunger keeps the valve open without power as I've never looked at one.

17 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Hi - have you determined that the solenoid definitely opens when cranking? I don't know myself if removing the spring and plunger keeps the valve open without power as I've never looked at one.

I thought when you removed the spring and plunger you were just left with a hole . Is that not the case ? 

I replaced the lift pump this morning , it works but still no diesel out of the delivery valves when engine is cranked . Can't think of anything else to try so when my pump  pulley holding tool arrives I'll remove the injection pump and take it to be checked over . Thanks for all the advice , I'll post an update when the issue is resolved .

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear that you solved the problem. Out of curiosity ow many miles has that engine covered? Any one know if this is related to modern DERV fuel not lubricating the pumps on older diesel like it used to?