Dashboard gauge reconditioning

Haven't had much luck with google on this one so hoping somebody here can help.. I am currently in the process of a complete rebuild of my 1986 90, the exterior is looking pretty good but the original interior (which is currently spread through my dining room) is a bit tired to say the least. So for the dashboard I am going to build a new gauge binnacle and would like to recondition the original gauges. I have found refurb kits for series gauges on the bay which include new glass and chrome surround:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-1-2-3-Jaeger-Smiths-Gauge-Reconditioning-Kit-Glass-Seal-Bezel-/271776850906?hash=item3f4729a3da:g:XdMAAOSwibJTyDfk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-1-2-Smiths-Gauge-Reconditioning-Kit-Glass-Seal-Black-Bezel-2-/282064653798?fits=Car+Make%3ALand+Rover&hash=item41ac5d0de6:g:uVIAAOSwmtJXWxhP

Does anybody know if these will fit the defender gauges / if there are kits available for the defender? I haven't even looked into taking the existing gauges apart so not even sure if it can be done... Any advise would be much appreciated anyway. 

I want to retain a bit of a classic car look with the dashboard so considered buying a set gauges from triumph / mg or similar but figured I would have a nightmare with speedo / fuel / temperature calibration so for ease would rather stick with the stock LR versions.

Pics of build as of a few days ago. You may notice that i'm not quite ready for an interior yet!

20161112_151735.jpg

20161029_141514.jpg

• Like 1

The gauges contain some very delicate wiring, I made one working temp gauge out of three broken ones.

With hindsight I should just have bought a new one, frustratingly fiddly and best left well alone if working.

Unfortunately the bulb housings fall apart when the heat from the bulbs degrades the plastic,  then just handling the gauges with loose bits inside can be enough to render them useless.

On another note, the orange paint...why?

• Like 1

I suspect I will clean the gauges up and see what they look like. Or go down the Td5 route. My fat hands aren't all that great when it comes to fiddly...

So the orange: The main reason is that everything used to be either oily black or a sort of rust brown covered in a spattering of oily black. There was always oil on the drive and I could never figure out where it was coming from. I thought if I went for a bright colour for every component under the car and bonnet then at least for a while I will have a fighting chance at eliminating some of the more major oil leaks. Plus Britpart use yellow so I wanted to stray well away from that. 

I'm determined to get a few more years out of it so everything has been cleaned down / acid bathed / galvanised / rebuilt / filled with dinitrol / etched and covered in enamel. Its grown on me: I think the orange and grey work quite well. Apparently you guys disagree judging from above!

56 minutes ago, benjwom23 said:

Apparently you guys disagree judging from above!

I think most are thinking back to a certain notorious supplier of old who produced everything in Orange and called it "Extreme" as their key marketing ploy....

Very smart, clearly some care's gone into that.

Couldn't you get any orange silicone hoses or did you stick with black to keep it subtle? :P

From memory the Defender gauges are peened closed so I'd imagine it could be damaging to dismantle & recondition them, and likely to take more time than is worth it IMHO. Just buying a set of VDO Vision gauges would be my route if I needed everything smart & reliable.

OK you need to enlighten my naivety. Who were these 'extreme' orange people?

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

From memory the Defender gauges are peened closed so I'd imagine it could be damaging to dismantle & recondition them, and likely to take more time than is worth it IMHO. Just buying a set of VDO Vision gauges would be my route if I needed everything smart & reliable.

Thanks, I wont bother trying to open them then