New Compressor

Retroanaconda

I have air and battery, power wise they're about the same. The air is a pain as the hose is always in the way but the batteries are huge on the other one and really heavy if your on your back so not really much better. For mobile use the battery one is great, I tried using the air one on the on board air system on the car but you have to leave the engine running and I don't like being under a car taking a prop off or something with the engine running. For home I would pick air, ok the compressor is spendy but the range of tools you can get for fairly little money is fantastic. The problem I have with battery tools is when I go for them they're always flat, the batteries are all getting old and losing performance any very expensive to replace, often more than the equivalent air tool. Also everyone wants to borrow your battery tools (which usually come back in a state that annoys) whereas unless they have a decent compressor they can't borrow your air tools :) 

Horses for courses as always, I guess it very much depends on frequency of use with the battery ones, you can get the gun above for 385 on eBay and I think I paid a little bit less for mine.

i thought some type of compressed gave cleaner air for spraying but it's something I don't know much about, I usually use a brush.

if you got a double motor compresser perhaps you could wire them independently to reduce the start up load?

will

I bought my compressor for spraying. It's a big old thing but did the job. I deliberately ran a big metal pipe off the tank and around the garage to the regulator. Got a pipe fitter to cut and thread the pieces. First section was vertical and about 1.5m so that as the air cooled down, any condensate ran back into the tank, rather than round to the spray gun.

When I was paint spraying it was hard for the inlet air not to pick up the spray mist. In my diy garage spray booth there was no separation. Next time (if there is and I hope I get another project) I will route the inlet through the wall from outside if I can. 

Mine appear as a card in the post. Probably only a couple per year. They are good for just two weekends each at your ' nominated store'. If you want to use them elsewhere you have to get in touch. Actually I've never got my timing right to use them. 

I phoned up my local (well 75 miles away!) store and asked them, the chap said I would need to register for their newsletter. After giving him my email address I was set up and then a week or so later a very timely no-VAT offer (something to do with that whole Black Friday thing) came through which I took advantage of. They seem to do it periodically, I was just lucky I think. 

M compressor should be ready for collection this week :)

Slight boob today, I had assumed that the compressor would come in a box but it's loose on a pallet. As such getting it in the back of my 90 was going to be all but impossible. It's also feckin' heavy! Going back tomorrow with a van.

Also, right on the side of the Great Western Road in central Glasgow is a carp location for a Machine Mart store - dread to think what they do when delivery vehicles turn up. Guess I'll find out tomorrow in the Transit :rolleyes:

I hate cities!

Alas, despite having dozens of vans at work using any of them for anything other than work would be rather illegal what with the whole no insurance/tax thing. Not to worry, £60 and a load of paperwork saw a SWB Transit mine for the day and I went up and collected it this morning.

Got it tucked away in the shed for now, will see about creating some kind of compressor house behind the workshop in the new year. Will probably start a separate thread for it as I would like to pick the collective brains of the forum on a number of issues.

Thanks again to all who helped me with the the selection and purchasing :)