Stolen Defender

Long shot here but last night our dads car was stolen from outside our house in Hebden Bridge by some scum bag. If anyone in the Hebden/Halifax/Hudds area sees It could you please let me or one of my fam know. These cars aren't made any more and meant loads to him ?

post-18874-0-97063500-1435936375_thumb.jpg

Sorry to here about the theft I would be gutted if it happened to me and mine is not in the same league as the one in your picture.

I noticed same steering lock I used when I first got my defender, until I realised you can slide it across take the cover from the steering wheel front and access the nut. All you need then is a socket ratchet and the steering wheel is off, spare steering wheels are easy to come by. All they need to do then is get past the steering lock and that's not to hard if they have time.

Anyway the old steering lock now goes on my brake pedal and I use another old fashioned Autolok 2000 which covers most of the steering wheel.

Been contemplating an electrical isolation switch too but kept putting it off. Think its just gone up in my to do list.

The steering locks like that in fact make the vehicle easier to steal! You use it as a lever to break the column lock then cut the steering wheel perimeter (remarkably easy) to remove the lock.

The hook things that go round the pedal can be removed similarly.

The only steering wheel lock worthwhile are the ones that cover the whole wheel - but even these have vulerabilities.

My personal favorite is to replace the bypass pipe on the steering box with a hose having no-loss quich hydraulic connectors on either end and take the hose with you. If you don't fancy carrying a hose, you can either use a locking valve to block the pipe or use two short tails with no-loss connectors on the free ends which you join with two back-to-back male connectors. The back-to-back connector is small enough to fit in your pocket. Llama4x4 can sort you out with the bits if you explain what you want - in very nice goodrich style braided hose.

Si