#1 göktu

göktu

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hi all.
I have a 1987 defenender 110.

I am thinking replacing the dashboard (with speedo and other parts) 2003 to 2007. has anyone did this swap before?

Thanks

#2 slihp

slihp

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

this thread covers re-mapping the instrument console

instruments

this one re-mapping console switches

console

there is another link to reedx (i think) that the guys will post up im sure, this shows you how one chap did this. i have just upgraded my 2001 dash to 2002+ dash and am about to install new after market guages. any questions just ask
2001 TD5 Defender 90 Truck Cab

#3 western

western

Recovery Man

• Moderators
  • 28,723 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

lots of us have fitted the Td5 instrument pack the first link above will explain how to do it, find the wibbly wobbly speedo thread in this forum, lots of good info in there too.
Ralph, M3WRM, MSA Recovery Operator -- Western Recovery [Motorsport] http://www.amro.org.uk/
Defender Forum Moderator

Keep LR4x4.com Independent -- you can help by Clicking Here

#4 göktu

göktu

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

this thread covers re-mapping the instrument console

instruments

this one re-mapping console switches

console

there is another link to reedx (i think) that the guys will post up im sure, this shows you how one chap did this. i have just upgraded my 2001 dash to 2002+ dash and am about to install new after market guages. any questions just ask

thanks but I've fitted that dashboard. Now I got Puma dash, and want to fit that one:)

#5 western

western

Recovery Man

• Moderators
  • 28,723 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

the Puma gauges won't work without the relevant ECU's from the donor 2007 LR & doubt they will work in a older vehicle anyway, would be faster to sell the 2003 vehicle & buy a 2007 vehicle.
Ralph, M3WRM, MSA Recovery Operator -- Western Recovery [Motorsport] http://www.amro.org.uk/
Defender Forum Moderator

Keep LR4x4.com Independent -- you can help by Clicking Here

#6 göktu

göktu

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

mine is 1987 model ex millitary:)

it's not very easy here in Turkey to sell and buy a Puma defender
here it is:
Posted Image

and when I owned it, it was like this:
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

there are the dashboard parts I have;

Posted Image
By oceanrunner1905 at 2011-07-05

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 RustyNissanPrairie

RustyNissanPrairie

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

Nice!

Sorry I cant help with the dash-but can I ask what colour you have painted your 110 and is it metallic paint?

#8 göktu

göktu

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:36 AM

it's metallic grey but dont know the paint code, I'll learn and write here as soon as possible...

any idea about dashboard fitting instructions?

#9 adam300Tdi90

adam300Tdi90

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

Nice!

Sorry I cant help with the dash-but can I ask what colour you have painted your 110 and is it metallic paint?

That's Bonnatti Grey..
1995 Defender 90 300tdi - Rebuild Piccys here - Build Thread - LR4x4
Alfa Romeo 156

#10 mickeyw

mickeyw

Petrol Head

• Long Term Supporters
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

Wow! That's quite a transformation. Well done.

I would imagine the Defender parts catalogue will be your best friend to help figure out what parts to use. I'm sure there'll be plenty of modifications to do along the way.

Gettings the instruments working will be quite a challenge I'm sure. Maybe the guys on here who have figured out the Td5 dash electronics will be able to help.

Michael

1986 Ninety 3.9 EFI Auto LPG 'Jolted' | 1990 Range Rover Vogue SE Auto LPG | 1986 One-Ten CSW V8 LPG

#11 Mo Murphy

Mo Murphy

Broad Minded

• Long Term Supporters
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

IIRC you may find that the dash will foul the gear stick.
Mo
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is one hundred and ten

The Land Rover 90: Many are called, few are chosen ...

#12 göktu

göktu

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

thanks a lot:)

I'll wait and see if someone can help me about instrumnets to work:)

#13 göktu

göktu

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

IIRC you may find that the dash will foul the gear stick.
Mo

need modification about that:)

Im aware of that,too

#14 Mo Murphy

Mo Murphy

Broad Minded

• Long Term Supporters
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Good luck with it, I'm sure everything can be made to work eventually :)

Mo
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is one hundred and ten

The Land Rover 90: Many are called, few are chosen ...

#15 Retroanaconda

Retroanaconda

Old Hand

• Long Term Supporters
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

Getting the instruments to work could be 'fun'. It'll be doable, everything is doable, but at different levels of difficulty!

Fitting the dash, and wiring up most of the switchgear (lights etc.) will likely be comparatively straightforward. A case of fishing out the wiring diagrams for the 2007MY Defender and working out where to patch it into your vehicle loom. I would imagine the instruments, or some of them, will be on a CANBUS system, so integrating it into your Td5 won't be that simple. I would start with looking at the wiring diagrams for the instruments and seeing where the feeds come from for the gauges etc, then go from there.

There won't be much help out there as I doubt many people have done such a conversion! I'm sure I read of someone doing it somewhere, but they didn't use the Tdci instruments, instead replacing them with aftermarket ones. I believe the instruments for the Tdci came out of the Discovery 3.

Good luck anyway :)

#16 JSG

JSG

Real Landrovers Have Square Edges

• Supporters
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

Aside from the electrics the Puma bulkhead is different so you'd have to fabricate the required mounts and lose your front bulkhead vents.

I'd advise that it is more trouble than it's worth.
Defender 110 Tdci CSW
24v LTWT

#17 göktu

göktu

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Getting the instruments to work could be 'fun'. It'll be doable, everything is doable, but at different levels of difficulty!

Fitting the dash, and wiring up most of the switchgear (lights etc.) will likely be comparatively straightforward. A case of fishing out the wiring diagrams for the 2007MY Defender and working out where to patch it into your vehicle loom. I would imagine the instruments, or some of them, will be on a CANBUS system, so integrating it into your Td5 won't be that simple. I would start with looking at the wiring diagrams for the instruments and seeing where the feeds come from for the gauges etc, then go from there.

There won't be much help out there as I doubt many people have done such a conversion! I'm sure I read of someone doing it somewhere, but they didn't use the Tdci instruments, instead replacing them with aftermarket ones. I believe the instruments for the Tdci came out of the Discovery 3.

Good luck anyway :)

I was readng you website about installing td5 intruments and just preparing to email you about that:)

#18 göktu

göktu

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Aside from the electrics the Puma bulkhead is different so you'd have to fabricate the required mounts and lose your front bulkhead vents.

I'd advise that it is more trouble than it's worth.

I really want this swap so much-)

#19 phil37

phil37

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Did you do any good with this conversion .

Me and my son am having a go at this conversion I am on holiday with me laptop with the wiring diagrams on iPad with Internet connection and my note book writing things down its looking do able at the moment fingers crossed.

Phil

#20 Retroanaconda

Retroanaconda

Old Hand

• Long Term Supporters
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Worst case scenario, take the gauges apart and create an interface board that drives the gauge stepper motor directly depending on the various inputs being fed into it.

FridgeFreezer was trying something similar a while back with his 109". Okay so the gauges are different but the principle would be exactly the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users