Another simple Q - Antifreeze this time

Hybrid_From_Hell

Right,

Been to see mate who works at Main Stealers, picked up some bits I wanted - Mmmmmmmmmm Staff rates LOVERLEY :lol:

Ok.............

He was working on a RR (as he would be at a Stealers) ........

and was fitting new rad, noticed the antifreeze going in was Yellow / Orange (down moglite down) :D

So what the difference between the blue antifreeze and the "Moglite colour coded" antifreeze (down Andy FFS DOWN :lol: )

Simple anwers will be fine, simple mind reciveing them anyway :lol:

Nige

I got a smacked bum from stunning for mixing LR gp pink anti freeze with cheap halfords when I had a rad leak. (I didn't know)

He did tel me what the differences are but can't remember enough to answer correctly..

there is a difference

I don’t really know if the colours mean anything in particular, but I have seen, Lime Green (Zuk Jimny), pi$$ stain yellow (jeep Cherokee), Crimson (BMW Mini Cooper S)…….. I know that GM do an orange (I think rubber boy is trying to source some :D ) and I use the common Blue stuff ……….. none of it is very cheap tho’

if you mix the blue with Halfrauds pretty pink stuff it turns to a sort of sh1tty brown colour :(

Ian

There are two basic types of antifreeze - ethylene glycol (boggo stuff) and fancy hideously expensive organic stuff, which is supposed to be much more environmentally friendly. Saab have been using the organic stuff for years - mate's Saab 900 has to have it. I've no idea what's actually in the organic though, or whether there are different varieties of it.

I've bought ethylene glycol in a variety of (usually violent) colours, so I'd guess it's just colouring and doesn't mean anything other than 'it would be a really, really bad idea to drink this'...

For a completely overly technical/professor style answer: Wikipedia

It's worth bearing in mind that Wikipedia is edited by lots of people with no peer review, so apply much the same rules as you would info on a forum - check it out from other more reliable sources before you take it as gospel. There's lots of good stuff on there but there's also plenty of rubbish.

It seems to be broken at the moment anyway :rolleyes:

This is from a Land Rover Technical Bulletin issued 09.08.2000. Presumably written for Land Rover Technicians to read and understand, so I hope it's OK in this thread.

AFFECTED RANGE:

Discovery Series II - All vehicles

Defender 99MY - VIN XA 159810 onwards

Range Rover - VIN YA 444892 onwards

Freelander - VIN YA 572693 onwards

NOTE:Earlier Freelanders in VIN range WA 600000 to YA 699999 are not affected by this change.

COOLANT - CHANGE TO SPECIFICATION

CAUSE:

At the above VINs, Havoline XLC (Extended Life Antifreeze Coolant) was introduced on production. This product is manufactured by Texaco.

ACTION:

The above coolant (pink in colour), which has previously only been used in Discovery Series II and Defender from 99MY, is based on ‘Organic Acid Technology’ (OAT). It is the ONLY coolant which is approved for vehicles built from the above VINs onwards and must not be mixed with any other type of coolant / anti freeze.

All concerned must be aware that the use of non-approved anti freeze will have an adverse effect on cooling system performance and durability and that Warranty will be compromised.

One part of this new anti freeze should be used with one part water for protection down to -36 degrees C, (-33 degrees F).

The product is now available from Land Rover Parts as ‘OAT Anti Freeze’,

STC 50529 - OAT Anti Freeze - 1 litre

STC 50530 - OAT Anti Freeze - 5 litre

STC 50524 - OAT Anti Freeze - 25 litre

When it says " ... must not be mixed with any other type of coolant / anti freeze" it is best to follow that instruction.

Mixing incompatible types results in a thick porridge type consistancy which neither flows well, nor transfers heat well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a Technical Bulletin number 11, dated 24.04.02

MODEL/DERIVATIVE:

New Range Rover (LM) ie, the L322

AFFECTED RANGE:

All derivatives

PROBLEM:

COOLANT SPECIFICATION

Premature erosion of the cylinder head may occur.

CAUSE:

Mixing Texaco Havoline Anti-freeze Coolant (AFC) and Texaco Havoline Extended Life Anti-freeze Coolant (XLC).

ACTION:

When refilling the coolant ensure that only Texaco Havoline AFC type coolant is used. Texaco Havoline AFC is an ethylene glycol based anti-freeze (containing no methanol) with silicate non-phosphate corrosion inhibitors, it is the ONLY coolant type (AFC) which is approved by Land Rover for use in the New Range Rover and must not be mixed with any other type of coolant / anti-freeze.

CAUTION: DO NOT mix Texaco Havoline AFC type and Texaco Havoline XLC type coolants under any circumstances.

NOTE: All concerned must be aware that the use of non-approved anti-freeze will have an adverse effect on the cooling system and engine durability and that Warranty will be compromised.

One part of this anti freeze should be used with one part water for protection down to -36°C, (-33°F).

PARTS INFORMATION:

Part number Description Quantity

STC50558 Texaco Havoline AFC coolant 1 litre

STC50559 Texaco Havoline AFC coolant 5 litre

Note that I do not have access to information after 2002, so there may be yet more changes in the last 4 years.

HTH

It's worth bearing in mind that Wikipedia is edited by lots of people with no peer review, so apply much the same rules as you would info on a forum - check it out from other more reliable sources before you take it as gospel. There's lots of good stuff on there but there's also plenty of rubbish.

I think this changed recently to prevent bovine excrement being posted.