Rear Recovery Points - Puma

EVH

Hi, I'm Erik from Durban, South Africa. This is my first post on the forum. I need some advice and I hope that someone here can assist me - I drive a 2013 110 Defender and want to fit some sturdy recovery points to the rear of the vehicle, something strong enough to snatch with, if necessary. At the moment, the 2 best options I came across locally is a mutha of a point that gets bolted onto the tow bar with the top 2 high tensile bolts through the chassis and the second is a replacement rear bumper. Both options will not work for me as the first renders the tow hitch useless (and I use it frequently) and I really don't want to incur the cost of a replacement bumper as I am pretty happy with the one I have. The other option that I came across is "schackles" that gets bolted in where the tie down points currently are (under the rear of the car) but that, I don't believe is strong enough to withstand the 10 - 12 000 kg force of a serious snatch recovery, even if you use a bridle to spread the load.

So, in short, I am trying to find alternatives - I would appreciate any advice as to how you guys successfully create heavy duty recovery points on the rear end of Defenders. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Regards

Erik

Are you looking for something that bolts straight on, or are you up for fabricating something to do what you want?

My First thoughts are a something like the disco and rangy tow points I know of that have two bracing bars going back from the bottom of the tow hitch to the main chassis rails to bolts in tubes - Defender might be the same but I'm not that familiar with them. The key is local strength and load spreading. A very strong point is no use if the area can't take the load

Are you looking for something that bolts straight on, or are you up for fabricating something to do what you want?

My First thoughts are a something like the disco and rangy tow points I know of that have two bracing bars going back from the bottom of the tow hitch to the main chassis rails to bolts in tubes - Defender might be the same but I'm not that familiar with them. The key is local strength and load spreading. A very strong point is no use if the area can't take the load

Hi - I would like to find something that can just bolt on, if available. I think the Defender has the same system. The top end of the tow bar and the drop plate bolts straight onto the chassis and from the bottom of the drop plate, there are 2 trailing arms bolted onto the chassis where the tie down rings are. Thanks.

Edited by western

Thats probably about the biggest rated tow ball/jaw I've seen on the market... the 5t jaws where good enough for the Camel Trophy and they did some aweful snatch type recoveries and it worked ok, I've got to say if you're hitting 12t then really you're pushing the limits of a LR chassis imho.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towing-Jaw-Bradley-5000kg-Ballpin-32mm-pin-50mm-ball-5-Ton-Tow-Jaw-/121461156214?pt=UK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts&hash=item1c47a62976

Thats probably about the biggest rated tow ball/jaw I've seen on the market... the 5t jaws where good enough for the Camel Trophy and they did some aweful snatch type recoveries and it worked ok, I've got to say if you're hitting 12t then really you're pushing the limits of a LR chassis imho.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towing-Jaw-Bradley-5000kg-Ballpin-32mm-pin-50mm-ball-5-Ton-Tow-Jaw-/121461156214?pt=UK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts&hash=item1c47a62976

Hi there - thanks to everyone for their input. I think that this is the one I need! I have a Ballpin fitted at the moment but it only has 2 fixing points, not 4. Now for the search to find that in South Africa:-) And Maverick - your Camel Trophy comment makes a lot of sense. It is unlikely to get worse than that here in Africa! Great day to you all.

I've been warned off using a NATO hitch for recovery work by a military man who's seen them bend doing exactly that

Hundreds, if not thousands, of people off roading using nato hitches for snatch recovery and one man saying he once saw one bend. I don't think I'll be rushing out to change mine

I think the big issue is not the hitch itself but what it's bolted to and how.

[TD5-and-onwards Defenders have rear crossmembers made of perilously-thin steel ! Spreader-plates and struts to transfer some of the load to the chassis forward of the crossmember are needed]]

I think the big issue is not the hitch itself but what it's bolted to and how.

[TD5-and-onwards Defenders have rear crossmembers made of perilously-thin steel ! Spreader-plates and struts to transfer some of the load to the chassis forward of the crossmember are needed]]

Taniku - do you think the standard Defender towbar set up is inadequate? I was always under the impression that it is probably one of the stronger standard assemblies out. I did not realise the the postTd5 Defenders had thicker cross-members.

I've put horrendous side pulls on NATO hitches and the crossmember buckles before the tow hitch! I've never seen a NATO standard tow hitch bend. Snatch recovery won't bend a NATO hitch on a land rover because you obviously do it in as straight a line as possible and use kinetic ropes properly... ;)

I've put horrendous side pulls on NATO hitches and the crossmember buckles before the tow hitch! I've never seen a NATO standard tow hitch bend. Snatch recovery won't bend a NATO hitch on a land rover because you obviously do it in as straight a line as possible and use kinetic ropes properly... ;)

Hi there - do you have the NATO hitch connected directly to the standard "Defender like" towbar assembly? Can a NATO hitch be used in conjunction with a towhitch on a standard drop plate?

Thanks

Erik