What rope for a winch other than Dyneema Bowrope?

TJN

I'm not sure there is a lot to choose between the main types different people prefer different ones. I've only ever used Dyneema Bowrope and am more than happy with it - I had a rope on the winch for a while then took it off, spliced it into an extension rope and got another one - no breakages, problems or even significant signs of wear with either bit just the colour fades after a while, though the conditions here under which I use it are relatively kind to ropes compared to many UK off road conditions.

Can I ask why not Dyneema Bowrope?

No specific reason I just wanted to see what else was used. I actually have Bowrope on my other winch and am very pleased with it. This however is just looking at all the options.

Thanks for the responses guys.

TJ

Be aware that 11mm is not really thick enough on a PTO winch!

People ran 8mm steel on 8274's and are now running 11mm plasma (type) ropes.

I ran 11mm steel on my old fairey winch so I reckon you should be looking for more like 13mm plasma (type) rope.

A PTO or hydraulic winch is alot more powerful than the equivalent sized electric one in practice!

Jon